Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unlimited Data
jhann01

I currently have a family share plan with my wife and I.  Her phone is a Droid and has the unlimited data for $29.99; I'm interested in upgrading to a smartphone and wanted to know if the unlimited data could be added to my line, since the $29.99 pricing was a part of my contract before the switch to tiered plans.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Unlimited Data
spottedcatfish

No, you cannot add the unlimited data feature to other lines on your account.

Only those lines that had the unlimited data feature before it was retired are eligible to keep it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spottedcatfish

No, you cannot add the unlimited data feature to other lines on your account.

Only those lines that had the unlimited data feature before it was retired are eligible to keep it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

jhann01 wrote:

I currently have a family share plan with my wife and I.  Her phone is a Droid and has the unlimited data for $29.99; I'm interested in upgrading to a smartphone and wanted to know if the unlimited data could be added to my line, since the $29.99 pricing was a part of my contract before the switch to tiered plans. Actually, the $29.99 was part of the contract on your wife's line; your line had no data plan (or had the basic phone data plan).  You'll need to add one of the currently available data plans to your line when you upgrade to a smartphone.  There is a $100 gift card promo till the end of September if you send in your old, basic phone when you upgrade to a smartphone....

0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Novice

Since you bring up contracts

data is a feature, features can change at anytime

0 Likes
abdiziriel

Even when data is an ad-on to the contract let me say this, in my case, I was on Sprint and switched company because my wife wanted a stupid iPhone. So I was considering AT&T but when I went to verizon they told me they can offer me unlimited data plan if I get an android for me. So I chose iPhone for wife and thunderbolt for me(biggest piece of thrash with all problems I had with it).

So the thing here is that they offered me an unlimited data plan so I moved from Sprint to Verizon. IF they decide to cancel my unlimited data plan and limit it to 2gb then I'll cancel the contract because that's not what they offer to me. And one more thing. I read that the main reason is because VW says that over 90% of customers only uses less than 2GB. That's **bleep** because if that were true they would not care about limit the data plan. In my case, I use way over 10GB/month since I stream movies, music, face calling and download large files since I don't have internet at home. So I need unlimited data.

On top of that, Verizon should take care in a better way of their customers since everybody knows that, right now, Sprint is the only carrier with unlimited data plan and they'll add the iPhone to their phone line-up. That said, Sprint will likely become the number one carrier unless they decide to change the plans.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish

abdiziriel wrote:

Even when data is an ad-on to the contract let me say this, in my case, I was on Sprint and switched company because my wife wanted a stupid iPhone. So I was considering AT&T but when I went to verizon they told me they can offer me unlimited data plan if I get an android for me. So I chose iPhone for wife and thunderbolt for me(biggest piece of thrash with all problems I had with it).

So the thing here is that they offered me an unlimited data plan so I moved from Sprint to Verizon. IF they decide to cancel my unlimited data plan and limit it to 2gb then I'll cancel the contract because that's not what they offer to me.Verizon has never, to my knowledge, forced someone to change their pricing during their contract.  The only time you will have to move to current pricing is if YOU make a change to your account that makes the feature incompatible with your plan and/or equipment.  The unlimited data package won't be around forever, some day Verizon will probably say "If you want the latest new phone, you'll have to choose from one of our current data package options.  Until that happens though, if you stay with a smartphone, you get to keep your unlimited data.  Long story short, chill out, Verizon is not going to cancel your unlimited data package with no notice and no action from you.

And one more thing. I read that the main reason is because VW says that over 90% of customers only uses less than 2GB. That's **bleep** because if that were true they would not care about limit the data plan. In my case, I use way over 10GB/month since I stream movies, music, face calling and download large files since I don't have internet at home. So I need unlimited data. Actually, the reason they care is because rolling out 4G and encouraging consumers to move to smartphones will increase the load on their network, possibly causing a situation like the one experienced by AT&T when the iPhone was first released.  Most people don't use that much data now, but they very well could in the near future.  This pricing encourages people to actually a) pay for what they use or b) be judicious in their use of 3G/4G data.

On top of that, Verizon should take care in a better way of their customers since everybody knows that, right now, Sprint is the only carrier with unlimited data plan and they'll add the iPhone to their phone line-up. That said, Sprint will likely become the number one carrier unless they decide to change the plans. Sprint's unlimited data plan may be great, but I doubt they'll be the #1 carrier in the near future.  They simply don't have the infrastructure and capacity to support the same number of subscribers as Verizon or AT&T.   They may in the future, but I don't think that's a concern right now.  The limited coverage keep many people from even considering them, and most of those people do have Verizon and AT&T available in their area.

0 Likes
Troubled1

Sprint is considered the #2 provider and there is no reason not to believe they can't take away a lot of business from ATT and Verizon for this vary reason (unlimited data plan).

I for one will leave Verizon for this alone.  Why pay more for the same thing? Their unlimited $99 plan is awefully attractive.

"Sprint's unlimited data plan may be great, but I doubt they'll be the #1 carrier in the near future.  They simply don't have the infrastructure and capacity to support the same number of subscribers as Verizon or AT&T.   They may in the future, but I don't think that's a concern right now.  The limited coverage keep many people from even considering them, and most of those people do have Verizon and AT&T available in their area."

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Troubled1 wrote:

Sprint is considered the #2 provider What are you smoking?????   and there is no reason not to believe they can't take away a lot of business from ATT and Verizon for this vary reason (unlimited data plan).

I for one will leave Verizon for this alone.  Why pay more for the same thing? Their unlimited $99 plan is awefully attractive.

"Sprint's unlimited data plan may be great, but I doubt they'll be the #1 carrier in the near future.  They simply don't have the infrastructure and capacity to support the same number of subscribers as Verizon or AT&T.   They may in the future, but I don't think that's a concern right now.  The limited coverage keep many people from even considering them, and most of those people do have Verizon and AT&T available in their area."

0 Likes
Troubled1

Read Consumer Reports Foolio :smileyvery-happy:  Verizon 74, Sprint 73.  US Cellular is actually #1 with 82.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Troubled1 wrote:

Read Consumer Reports Foolio :smileyvery-happy:  Verizon 74, Sprint 73.  US Cellular is actually #1 with 82.

This is just the customer satisfaction values from readers of Consumer Reports. This has nothing to do with whether or not they are the biggest cellular carrier in the US, which US Cellular definitely is not.

0 Likes