Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unlimited data and Mobile Hot Spots
rsundermeyer

Hello.

I have a couple of related questions on the usage of "Mobile Hotspot" function when on an unlimited plan.

Background:  I have 3 phones and a USB modem (?) on my plan.  I have unlimited plans on all 4 (Start Unlimited on the 3 phones, and Unlimited plan on the USB device).  I discovered that my phone can no longer act as a mobile hotspot on this plan.

My Questions:

(1) I was told previously (and I apologize for loosing this information) that to get mobile hotspot on a phone, I have to sign up for a different unlimited plan
(1.1)  What plan would give me unlimited data and the ability of mobile hotspots
(1.2) Would I still be eligible for the multi-phone discount?  (trying to figure out the exact price difference)
(1.3) Is it possible to switch back and forth? (Specifically, I only need this functionality during certain activities which result in traveling in areas with no WIFI available - depending on the extra cost - wondering If I can move back and forth between the plans
(1.4) How quick does the change take effect?  (Same day?)

(2) On my phone, I get a specific error if I try to turn on mobile hotspot.  On the computer using the USB, it allows me to turn on "share my connection" without any errors - but when we try to connect to the WIFI generated, although it appears to connect, no data flows  (this device would not need to switch back and forth.  This computer is in a home  with no internet access ,  so we want the tablet to be able to share the desktop connection.)
(2.1)  Does the plan this device is on also limit sharing of the connection?
(2.2) If so, what plan does it need?
(2.3) How long does it take to be effective?

Appreciate   any help you can give me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Unlimited data and Mobile Hot Spots
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

rsundermeyer,

We can relate to the need to have the right features for your needs. Help is here. Our Start Unlimited option does not included the Mobile Hotspot option, a plan change would be necessary for compatibility. The good news is yes, you can switch back and forth, and you can select which plan works out best for each line. Here is a link that allows you to do a comparison: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/compare-unlimited/

The following link will allow you to work the numbers: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/

KatiM_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

rsundermeyer,

We can relate to the need to have the right features for your needs. Help is here. Our Start Unlimited option does not included the Mobile Hotspot option, a plan change would be necessary for compatibility. The good news is yes, you can switch back and forth, and you can select which plan works out best for each line. Here is a link that allows you to do a comparison: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/compare-unlimited/

The following link will allow you to work the numbers: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/

KatiM_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

The unlimited plans have a restriction on how much high speed hotspot data you can use before your speeds are reduced for the remainder of the billing cycle. Which plan you have will determine just how much high speed hotspot data you have. Please provide which plan you have. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rsundermeyer

Thank you for your reply.  I have the  Start Unlimited for my phone line.  I have managed to switch my phone to have a plan with a mobile hot spot.  Still working on the USB  modem line.

In both cases, speed is NOT a concern.  I work remotely and I am on call most weekends.  My primary concern is when I am camping in areas where there is no WIFI, how do I connect my computer to the internet if I need to follow up on a customer issue.  I need to use my computer vs my phone on these issues because I need to use applications my phone does not support.

0 Likes
rsundermeyer

Thank you.  The links were very helpful for the phone line itself.  I have successfully switched to a plan which allows mobile hotspot to run.

Is there a similar link for a Global Modem USB730L in Black   device?  This is a USB modem which allows a computer access to the internet via the cell network.  The current plan it is associated with is 'Unlimited Plan'.

* The computer has a "share my internet connection" option, and I am wondering if this plan limits the connection to one device (I can start a wifi from my computer, and devices can connect, but they cannot use the internet connection and I am trying to figure out if it is a config problem on my computer -OR- if my plan does not support it.

Again - for this, I am not concerned about speed of transmission, only the ability to connect - would be used primarily for short connections (think text messages, emails, FB, etc) from a tablet with no internet connection.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

rsundermeyer This is definitely a time when you need to have Mobile Hotspot service. The Start Unlimited does not offer this feature. Here is the link to review which plans include it. If you don't need it too often I would suggest Play More, you get 15 GB of MHS for an additional 10.00 a month.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/

DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes