Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Upgrade/Change plans questions
annied000

Hi everyone,

If you can help me out with any or all of the questions below, I would be very appreciative.  Some info about my account to keep in mind.... I am still in contract (out by 1/12) but am eligible for a phone upgrade at a discounted price now.  I also get a 19% employer discount.   Plan: 900min for 59.99 . Basic phone- no data pack.

Now for the questions:

1.  What is the best way to add a line (go from individual plan to family plan) while also upgrading my phone from basic to smartphone while still in contract?  I can't seem to do both at the same time online?  Should I upgrade my phone first and then add a line.... does the order in which I do this matter?

2.  Second, is a family plan always cheaper than a household with two individual plan lines (both lines requiring a data pack)?

3.  If I open a second individual account for my husband, will I receive my employer discount on this line as well?

4.  If we choose separate lines, I will be downgrading my plan from 900 min to 450min... but I also want to upgrade my phone to a smartphone.  Again, does the order in which I do this matter?  Does downgrading my calling plan affect my current 2 year contract?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Upgrade/Change plans questions
annied000

Thanks SuzyQ and Catfish for the quick replies!!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spottedcatfish

annied000 wrote:

Hi everyone,

If you can help me out with any or all of the questions below, I would be very appreciative.  Some info about my account to keep in mind.... I am still in contract (out by 1/12) but am eligible for a phone upgrade at a discounted price now.  I also get a 19% employer discount.   Plan: 900min for 59.99 . Basic phone- no data pack.

Now for the questions:

1.  What is the best way to add a line (go from individual plan to family plan) while also upgrading my phone from basic to smartphone while still in contract?  I can't seem to do both at the same time online?  Should I upgrade my phone first and then add a line.... does the order in which I do this matter? No, it doesn't matter.  The online system can only handle one order at a time, that's the only reason you can't do both at once.  Each line in a Family Plan has its own, independent contract.

2.  Second, is a family plan always cheaper than a household with two individual plan lines (both lines requiring a data pack)? Generally, yes, but with your usage, you might be able to find a scenario where two individual lines were more cost effective.  It would also depend on what type of texting package each line needs.  The data packages will always cost the same, but for instance, unlimited texting for an entire family plan is $30, while it is $20 per line for individual plans.  You should do a few mock orders (or work a calculator) to compare your options.

3.  If I open a second individual account for my husband, will I receive my employer discount on this line as well? It depends on the agreement that your employer has with Verizon.  Some of them will discount a second Individual plan, others will not.  You should contact Verizon or your employer to get the details.

4.  If we choose separate lines, I will be downgrading my plan from 900 min to 450min... but I also want to upgrade my phone to a smartphone.  Again, does the order in which I do this matter?  Does downgrading my calling plan affect my current 2 year contract? In this case, the order may matter.  If you have a New Every 2 credit available (it's also called a "loyalty discount"), reducing your calling plan may reduce its value.  I'd do the upgrade first, then change your plan.  Changing your plan does not impact the length of your contract.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader
OK, Annie - let me see what I can do to answer your questions.  You've asked some good ones!!

annied000 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Now for the questions:

1.  What is the best way to add a line (go from individual plan to family plan) while also upgrading my phone from basic to smartphone while still in contract?  I can't seem to do both at the same time online?  Correct - online will only process one transaction at a time, and it won't do another while one change is "pending".    Should I upgrade my phone first and then add a line.... does the order in which I do this matter?  Possibly, but it really won't change upgrade dates/contract length because each line is handled individually for that anyway.  If your phone is due for an upgrade, process that, renew your contract, and complete that part of the deal.  If you call customer service you can probably change the plan and add a line all at once too.

2.  Second, is a family plan always cheaper than a household with two individual plan lines (both lines requiring a data pack)? I hesitate to say "always" - but for the same features, (comparable minutes, texting plans, data) generally a  family share plan is a better value, because the base ont he second line is $9.99 instead of the minimum $39.99 for an individual line.

3.  If I open a second individual account for my husband, will I receive my employer discount on this line as well? I don't know if you can apply your employee discount to more than one account; both accounts would have to be in your name.

4.  If we choose separate lines, I will be downgrading my plan from 900 min to 450min... but I also want to upgrade my phone to a smartphone.  Again, does the order in which I do this matter?  Does downgrading my calling plan affect my current 2 year contract?  No, changing your minute plan does not change your contract at all.  If you are reducing thenumber of minutes, you will want to "forward date" the plan to take effect at the beginning of your next billing cycle to avoid pro-rating charges.  And it does not matter if you downgrade minutes, then upgrade your phone, or the other way around.  

Thanks in advance!

I hope I've answered your questions without confusing you too much.  Post back if you need more information!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader
HAHA - Annie double posted and I did not see this one till after I had answered the other. At least we agree on most points, catfish. You made some excellent points that I did not think of (like reducing minutes will reducing the NE2 credit), so thanks for the additional info!

And your suggestion to try "mock orders" with various plan configurations is a great idea. That will be the best way to see if a family plan or two individual plans will work better.
0 Likes
annied000

Thanks SuzyQ and Catfish for the quick replies!!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes