Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VZW495.com
djmike0408

I received a call from 800-888-9599 on my cell phone today with an automated message that said they were Verizon Wireless.  They stated that I was being given a $495 credit and I just needed to go to www.VZW495.com and log into my account to get my credit.  Obviously I knew this was a scam, but I checked out the site anyway.  It looks exactly like www.VZW.com!  Just giving you the heads up that someone is trying to scam your customers.

0 Likes
Re: VZW495.com
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Sounds like another one that's been going around the last month or so.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi there djmike0408!

Thank you so much for taking the time to report this information. Our customers security is extremely important and we take this very seriously! I forwarded your information to our Corporate Security team to make sure they are fully aware of this!

I do have concerns about your own security as well since you did visit the website. If you could please complete the following:

- Change My Verizon login and password credentials immediately.

- If you entered any financial / credit card information, please notify your financial agency / bank immediately.

- You may have been infected by a virus and should run anti-virus or anti-malware software as soon as possible.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LABruin78

How is it that you're aware of this scam issue and yet I'm still getting calls from the same number with the same scam.

Is Verizon incapable of protecting their customers from these scams once they become aware of them?  You've been given the phone number in the above post and they are still calling your customers.  I'm quite confused as to how you're allowing this to continue.

0 Likes
dsnyder1009

I also received one, well actually two, today from the same number.  Didn't answer, didn't try back.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

LABruin78 wrote:

How is it that you're aware of this scam issue and yet I'm still getting calls from the same number with the same scam.

Is Verizon incapable of protecting their customers from these scams once they become aware of them?  You've been given the phone number in the above post and they are still calling your customers.  I'm quite confused as to how you're allowing this to continue.

Verizon (substitute any company name) may be aware of a scam being perpetrated using their name, but they are NOT the ones originating the scam and cannot therefore "stop the calls".   Whoever is behind it changes the phone number, the website, and the details often enough and quickly enough that they are not caught, and it's up to each one of us to protect ourselves from scams purporting to be from any company we do business with.

When in doubt, go directly to the company website on your computer.  Keep your anti-virus and malware protection up to date, and if something looks suspicious, leave it alone.

Simply because a scam artist has decided to use Verizon's name in their scam is no reason to believe Verizon has any more power to stop them than anyone else.  You have more power to protect yourself by taking simple precautions, than Verizon has of stopping a scam of this scale.

0 Likes
LABruin78

Suzy - you seem to misunderstand my point.  Verizon is a phone company and I am a customer of theirs.  They are aware that the phone number 800-888-9599 is a scam attempting to defraud their customers. 

My point is that as a phone company, they should be more than capable of preventing calls from this number from reaching their customers.  It is negligent to continue to allow the scam to reach their customers.

Your statement is completely irrelevant.  Verizon doesn't need to stop the scam, but they should be capable of stopping the scammers from using the very phone system they control.  Email providers do the same thing and block known IP addresses from which spam/scams originate from.  It IS the responsibility of service providers to prevent people from misusing the service they provide.

0 Likes
Mike21032

I just received the same type of robocall from 800-888-9599, instructing me to go to www.vxw665.com, which I did not do.  I found this link through a google search and am posting to let whoever know it is still going on.

0 Likes
Bluebullet

My wife and I also just received calls today form the same number.  Different web site though.

0 Likes
RELJR

I also just received the robocall from 800-888-9599 telling me to go to www.vxw495.com.  Did not.  Scam from this phone number is still going on.

0 Likes