Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What does everyone think of the new data plan from verizon?
mobius999

Was told if I upgrade to new phone I will lose my unlimited data package or I could get pre-owned or pay full retail price and keep unlimited(this blows).

0 Likes
Re: What does everyone think of the new data plan from verizon?
sennister

I was running the numbers. For us I would get the benefit of spending $50 more per month. As a result I will go from unlimited data to 2GB/mo. The sales rep pointed out that I will have unlimited minutes where I am now capped at 1400minutes. Well we have never come close to using 1400 minutes between our 4 phones and I am going to have to use wifi a lot more to keep below 2GB on my phone. I get way too much email in my work account.

@$50 / mo that works out to $1200 over a 2 year contract. Well full retail all the smartphones that I looked at is $650. So you are much better off buying outright. I would hit the break even point at 13 months.

Well our contract for the other three phones is up in 6 months. My Thunderbolt should last that long and I will be shopping the other carriers.

DroidudeAZ
Novice

I think Share Everything is good and bad. I think

jimfitzgerald wrote:

That is correct.  If you lose your unlimited plan, you can switch to one of the tiered data plans introduced last summer or the new Share Everything plans.  They make sense for some people, not others.  I plan to do whatever is necessary to keep my unlimited data plan.

It can be beneficial if you have more than 2 users on the plan. I have an unlimited data plan from the Alltel days that's better than anything Verizon offers. I haven't exceeded my monthly minutes in years. My monthly data usage is around .2300 - 300 MB per month as I have wifi at home and work. I think it sucks that I have to paying full price for a new phone to keep my unlimited data plan when my contract is up. Not sure whether to cave in and go with the new plan or buy a Nexus device direct from Google for $400 and deal with GSM coverage. Having unlimited data is a good cushion, should I ever need to use it for GPS on a long trip or something like that. That I have to pay $600 + dollars for a phone to keep it......I've been a customer for 11 years. There should be an incentive for longtime customers.

This is just a personal opinion.

0 Likes
sennister

You should run the numbers if you want to stay with Verizon. Like I pointed out in my case, it works out that it is $50 more a month to convert my plan. That is $1200 over the course of a normal 2 year contract if you did the new one. Well you can keep your current rate by paying $650 for a new phone. In my case it would be worth it. If I was committed to Verizon. At this point I don't know that I am.

Like you mentioned it may work out for some people to be a good deal. Those people are likely the ones with multiple smartphones and/or tablets. Since we have only the one smartphone we get raked over the coals.

0 Likes
jack3rdand4th

I just upgraded my wife's 3G fascinate to the droid razor yesterday and was told I would have to change my plans minding you my phone has unlimited everything. So the sales guy at the store has helped me out a couple of other times and I have service some of the vehicles at my job. Also mind you my wife was not eligible for a upgrade till november. they upgraded he phone for the distcounted price (contract entended.. i'n fine with) and then told me that he would swith my plan.... andsaid your going to save about $80.00... this is what I have 2 smart phones, 1 basic phone and 1 tablet. before the switch with my company corporiate discount I was paying $300.00 to $350.00 a month.

Now i still have the same 2 smart phones ($40.00 each per month) 1 basic phone ($30.00 a month) tablet ($10.00 a month) and 8gb of data at ($90.00)..total of $210.00 factor in my discount I will be paying $196.00.... hell if anyone is using more then 2 gigs with everyone out in the would thats offering wi-fi (hell even my company NTB has wi-fi now... i don't think i would even use 8 gigs,,,, maay even step done to 6 because my son doesn't know he can get on the basic phone to the web and it's staying like that .....

and i just called verizon and asked like some has stated above about a cap of 1400 minutes and the rep said that's BS....that ther is no cap on any of there unlimted plans and would like to know who said that because they have never had caps.......

would check into this it looks like I will be saving well over $100.00 a month on the new shared plan.....great news for me

0 Likes
sennister

You misunderstood what I was saying.

My current plan is the 1400 family plan. 1400 minutes shared between the phones. We have unlimited texting and I have unlimited data. I have the only smart phone on the plan. That is where the 1400 minute cap came from.

If I do a new contract you are 100% correct. My minutes go from a 1400 minute cap (old plan) to unlimited (new plan) like the sales rep told you. How big of a benefit is that to someone who uses maybe 500 minutes a month between all the phones? Our minute count is so low because of the 10 friends and family and free Verizon to Verizon calling. The vast majority of our talking is between Verizon phones or the 10 F&F.

So basically I am trading capped minutes which we barely use for capped data which going through my history I use a little over 2GB/mo. But in doing this my bill goes up $50/mo. I could probably get below the 2GB mark but I would have to leave Wifi on all the time. I don't do that now. Also I am not always in the office where I get wifi and not at home where I get wifi. My phone pretty much alerts all day long with email from work. So I can burn through 2GB/mo by doing virtually nothing on the phone.

I mentioned in another post that I am sure that this will work out in favor for some people. It doesn't swing that way for us. You case seems to be what I was talking about in a pool of users that have multiple smartphones and/or tablets.

0 Likes
Morkai

Their new plans are a HORID joke. They force people to use other services (wifi) and over charge for theirs. I am sorry but on the shared plan the first 1gig is 50 dollars... are you kidding me?

Look at the plans they have in MANY other countries and you will see just how much they are wringing money out of their users. Europe has a MUCH more customer friendly cell ecosystem than the US.

Many people seem to justify this to themselves saying well "I have wifi everywhere, I will use that". Great so what exactly are you paying VZW for then? I think it is funny, we are FORCED to pay for sdata to have a smart phone, then forced to use the least amount possible. So to use their phones you HAVE to buy their product, hardly use it, and pay a HUGE premium for it.

BTW try streaming media sometime, you will burn through 8 gigs much faster than you might think. What the hell good is 4g if you can only use it for 10 minutes a month? Do the math, you can download 1gig pretty damned fast on 4g.

0 Likes
CharmingPhlsphr

It really all depends. For me, it is not a wise choice (1 smartphone, a tablet, two basic lines with 700 min, $10 texting, 2 GB, and unlimited data).

700 min talk - $50

500 msg w/ unl m2m - $10

3 lines - 9.99x3 = $29.97

Unlimited data - $29.99 (ave. usage around 20-30GB/mo)

2GB Tablet plan - $30

Total: $149.96 before tax

New pricing

Smartphone: $40

Basic: 2x$30

Unl Talk and Text with 30 GB: $200

Total: $300

Financially, it wouldn't be practical for me, but I can see the benefit in some instances. Certain scenarios would make the change advantagous, but not for me in the least. Thankfully, I have stocked up on 4G devices. I am good for a very long time.

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

i'm having a hard time believing that just email/email alerts would get you over 2g/month.

bite the bullet & use wi-fi at home & work.

doesn't your phone auto select a wi-fi you've selected, when in range?

0 Likes
Morkai

Really not that hard if you send and receive a lot of attachments.

0 Likes