Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What happens when I go over 2 GB?
Aloysius

I am looking to add a data plan to my kid's phone. What happens if he goes over the 2GB? Does Verizon automatically let him continue and just bill me or does it require him to "opt in" to further data use? I want to allow him the 2GB, but not allow him to run up my bill after that. I can't seem to find the answer ... any help?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: What happens when I go over 2 GB?
mdram4x4
Leader

Aloysius wrote:

He has a simple feature phone today, but we are thinking of getting him an iPhone 4 to replace his iPod touch and his phone which is a mess. BUT, if I can't even tell eaisily that he is getting close, it is no where near worth my time to monitor this. Thanks for the help.

you can easily log into vzw website and look

or if you have a smartphone and are the primary line, use the vzw app to look

you can also use it to teach responsibility

tell him how much he has, let him track it an pay for the overages

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

Aloysius wrote:

I am looking to add a data plan to my kid's phone. What happens if he goes over the 2GB? Does Verizon automatically let him continue and just bill me or does it require him to "opt in" to further data use? I want to allow him the 2GB, but not allow him to run up my bill after that. I can't seem to find the answer ... any help?

they let him keep going and run up the bill

its your and his responsibilty to keep track of theusage

what phone is it?

0 Likes
Aloysius

He has a simple feature phone today, but we are thinking of getting him an iPhone 4 to replace his iPod touch and his phone which is a mess. BUT, if I can't even tell eaisily that he is getting close, it is no where near worth my time to monitor this. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

Aloysius wrote:

you can easily log into vzw website and look

or if you have a smartphone and are the primary line, use the vzw app to look

you can also use it to teach responsibility

tell him how much he has, let him track it an pay for the overages

0 Likes
Aloysius

Thanks. I am the primary account holder, so that makes sense. Good news is that he is fairly responsible as it is. Bad news is ... everyone slips up! More to consider but thanks for your input.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Actually, everyone doesn't slip up. It's a matter of being responsible. If he can't manage his own cell phone minutes and/or data, I wouldn't get it.
0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Aloysius,

I appreciate your proactive approach in effort to prevent unwanted charges on your bill. Thanks community members for your input and suggestions.  Additionally, we do offer Usage Controls for $4.99/month.  With Usage Controls you will be able to set:

• Soft Stops - Default setting that allows continued use after the allowance has been met.
  • Hard Stops - Can be selected by the account owner to prevent further use after the allowance has been met.

For more details about Usage Controls click here.  I hope this information is helpful.  Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Thank you for your contribution to our community forums,

0 Likes