Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why are they advertising...
wtfranklin
Novice

I've been seeing TV ads recently touting 4G that allows 'streaming movies' and even NFL games with no lag. I thought Verizon capped you at 5GB. Are they just going to charge you WHEN you exceed the cap?

On a second note. I currently have an unlimited plan with Sprint for my home. I live in a rural area and use a 'phone card' plugged into a wireless router. I have a desktop connected with cat 5 and connect with my laptop wirelessly. Does Verizon have a similar setup?

I've never gone over 5GB/month in the 4 years I've had the service. However, because of the relatively slow (for broadband) speed, I've never even thought of using VOD or anything like that. I checked the Verizon coverage map and I'm inside the 4G area. I wouldn't be using it as a 'mobile' device, only for home use.

My wife and I are currently Verizon cell phone users. Neither of us have smartphones however.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Why are they advertising...
mdram4x4
Leader

wtfranklin wrote:

I've been seeing TV ads recently touting 4G that allows 'streaming movies' and even NFL games with no lag. I thought Verizon capped you at 5GB. Are they just going to charge you WHEN you exceed the cap?

On a second note. I currently have an unlimited plan with Sprint for my home. I live in a rural area and use a 'phone card' plugged into a wireless router. I have a desktop connected with cat 5 and connect with my laptop wirelessly. Does Verizon have a similar setup?

I've never gone over 5GB/month in the 4 years I've had the service. However, because of the relatively slow (for broadband) speed, I've never even thought of using VOD or anything like that. I checked the Verizon coverage map and I'm inside the 4G area. I wouldn't be using it as a 'mobile' device, only for home use.

My wife and I are currently Verizon cell phone users. Neither of us have smartphones however.

Thanks.

you have a couple ofoptions

there are 4g usb modems

there are 4g mifis that allow multiple devices to connect

and if you get a 4g smartphone there isa rumor that you can get unlimted hotspot plan

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

wtfranklin wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, you will be charged $10/GB(I believe this is the amount) for which you have gone over your allowance.

0 Likes
wtfranklin
Novice

I guess that's what I was getting at in my original post. An HD movie is going to run anywhere from 2 - 4GB. So, in addition to the little surfing and email, I'd be able to watch 1 movie before I got charged. At $10/GB, it would be cheaper to actually buy the movie on DVD.

Seems a little decietful. Of course I didn't read the fine print at the bottom of the screen. I'm sure it flashed up there for a few milliseconds.

I figured the 'unlimited' plans would be dropped when I heard about all the companies that were going to start streaming so many things online. There was no way an ISP is going to let people use all that bandwidth.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Since cell phones can't even display an HD movie, I believe that you will find there is quite a bit of compression/downsizing of the picture before it gets sent to the phone which will minimize the amount of data being sent.

For example, the iPhone screen, which some say is the best, only has a screen resolution of 960x640. This is nowhere near HD specs.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Verizon has a 10GB plan.
0 Likes