Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why did I receive a bill when my device is suspended?
argold

Four years ago I bought a MiFi 2200 wireless hotspot for which I paid the

full retail unsubsidised price and I put it on a month-to-month contract for

which I was told I would get unlimited non-billed suspensions. And for 4

years I've enjoyed exactly that. But today, while the device is still on

suspension, I received a bill with monthly charges. I called VZW customer

service who told me that the deal that I was promised and that I have

enjoyed for 4 years never existed.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Was there a change in policy or did Customer Service get it wrong?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: MiFi Suspension Without Billing
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Suspension without billing is limited to 3 months.  Suspension with billing is limited to 1 month. After that time the device will become activated again unless the user calls back and requests another. Users can request suspensions as many times as they like. However, each time you suspend with billing your contract end date is pushed back accordingly. 

This is how it has been since I have gotten involved with MiFi devices around May of 2011.  You need to make sure you are choosing the correct suspension option and checking in with VZW accordingly.  Otherwise they will auto reactivate your device and start the billing process again.

More information:

https://insidersguide.vzw.com/article/suspend-reconnect-verizon-wireless-service-how-to/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

Suspension without billing is limited to 3 months.  Suspension with billing is limited to 1 month. After that time the device will become activated again unless the user calls back and requests another. Users can request suspensions as many times as they like. However, each time you suspend with billing your contract end date is pushed back accordingly. 

This is how it has been since I have gotten involved with MiFi devices around May of 2011.  You need to make sure you are choosing the correct suspension option and checking in with VZW accordingly.  Otherwise they will auto reactivate your device and start the billing process again.

More information:

https://insidersguide.vzw.com/article/suspend-reconnect-verizon-wireless-service-how-to/

0 Likes
argold

The aspect of extending the contract is not applicable as I bought a device at full price and with no term contract, it was just on month-by-month service. Today VZW CS told me that I was not allowed to suspend again for another 90 days without billing because I had already done that twice this year. I never met that limit before and in 2012 I see I suspended without billing 8 times. Is there a new limit on non-billed suspensions? Was CS wrong? I had no problem returning to re-suspend after 90 days but I was told that was not available.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

I was not aware of any limits to the number of times per year you could suspend a device.  I also have never had to suspend a device without billing more than 2x in a year either.

You might want to call a 2nd VZW rep and ask for confirmation.  Sometimes reps confuse these subjects.  If it is true then ask them to provide you with a link that details the policy on suspension for the rest of us. 

0 Likes
argold

I assume the CS rep was relying on http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/MyVerizon/suspend_service.html at paragraph 7. But that contradicts my 4 years of service and suspensions without limit, so I was really hoping I might meet some some hard-core VZW billing person here could set me straight.

0 Likes
argold

I've gone back both using chat and by phone and everyone seems to be keen to

help me but the computer system they use has been programmed to prevent my

device from re-suspending. So I've now terminated my account. One

side-effect is that I no longer have any credentials with which to log into

the forum web site to post this message so I hope this reply made via email

does make it onto the board.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

We got your message, thanks for sharing argold.  I will keep this in mind if anyone else asks about it in the future.

Its unfortunate that the suspension policy was a deal breaker for you, but in the end you need to do what you feel is right.

0 Likes
argold

As an intermittent user during visits to the USA it was indeed a critical feature. I still have the exact same Novatel MiFi 2200 device working on the Sprint cell network that I purchased that from WalMart and it does exactly what I want, albeit on a network with inferior coverage, and with perpetual credit so long as it's used at least one time per year. See: http://my.internet-go.com/. I also can tether from my Android cell phone and, by using an appropriate app, I can share the cell data connection with my notebook PC in a manner that does not require a tether-enabled plan.

0 Likes
argold

For some reason I am unable to edit the last message, but a better link to that Sprint hosted service is http://internet-go.com/

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hey there argold,

I am saddened to hear that you disconnected your services with us. We do hope that we can retain your services in the near future.

Just to be clear, you can only suspend your line without billing for 90 days. It'll autoconnect on the 91st day and you can then go ahead and suspend it for another 90 days. You can do it for up to 180 days in the calander year.

I'm sorry for the confusion since I know you said you were able to do it before, but this has always been the suspension policy.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes