Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why does Verizon demand that I have a data plan on a phone I own.
redillon68

I ask because after I completed the software upgrade on my HTC Incredible I had to go through the setup wizard again and on the thrid screen the phone asked me if I had a data plan or not and gave me the option to configure the phone as a WiFi only device.  Now, I've been told many times that this can't be done but now on two unrooted phones I know it can be done (my wife's Stratosphere has the ability to turn off mobile data from the drag down menu).

I have no issue if I'm buying the phone at a discount from Verizon, but why is it required if I either pay full price or buy on the open market.

0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon demand that I have a data plan on a phone I own.
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

redillon68 wrote:

I ask because after I completed the software upgrade on my HTC Incredible I had to go through the setup wizard again and on the thrid screen the phone asked me if I had a data plan or not and gave me the option to configure the phone as a WiFi only device.  Now, I've been told many times that this can't be done but now on two unrooted phones I know it can be done (my wife's Stratosphere has the ability to turn off mobile data from the drag down menu).

I have no issue if I'm buying the phone at a discount from Verizon, but why is it required if I either pay full price or buy on the open market.

It's not that you can't have the phone without a data plan, you can't have it on the Verizon network without a data plan. Verizon does not have complete control over what capabilities a phone manufacturer has incorporated into a phone. To activate the phone on Verizon's network, though, you have to follow the guidelines set by Verizon.

You can very well purchase the phone full price or on the open market and use it as a WiFi ONLY device. You do not have to purchase a data plan from Verizon. The problem is, though, you DO NOT want to use it as a WiFi ONLY device. You want to use it as a CELLULAR device on Verizon's network. In this case, you have to abide by the rules set forth by the service provider.

redillon68

And why is it wrong to ask why I can't activate it without a data plan.

0 Likes
keitoflan
Novice

Their plans, their rules. If they choose not to provide voice only plans on smartphones then there's nothing you can do besides looking at other provider's options.

If they set it up so that their billing systems requires one to do the other - that's what the representatives have to do.

0 Likes
redillon68

So Keitoflan, why is it that I can't ask them to change?  Why is it that all I can do is look at other providers options?

And my question isn't for the first tier order takers who are reading a script.  VZW can "data block" the "feature phones" that "require" a data plan, why not a smart phone?  And don't tell me that the phone won't work without one because I've got the 3G turned off on my phone right now and it's working just fine as a WIFI only device.

I'm tired of having to choose (on ALL carriers) between a cheap junky phone with very few features and having to have a $30/month data plan just so I can have a phone with decent features.  It should not have to be an either/or decision.    I don't think it's wrong to ask that if I pay for the phone outright that I have the ability to not have to have a data plan.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

redillon68 wrote:

And why is it wrong to ask why I can't activate it without a data plan.

Like jimfitzgerald said, I did not say it was wrong for you to ask. The word 'wrong' was not in my reply.

I actually agreed that you COULD use your phone how you 'said' you wanted to use it, as a WiFi ONLY device. I also said Verizon wouldn't let you use it how I 'assumed you actually meant you wanted to use it, activated on Verizon's network without a data plan.

0 Likes
redillon68

It's the tone of your wording, just like Jim's.  "their network, their rules, don't like it, look somewhere else".   That implies "it's wrong to ask". 

And yes, forgive me for not specifically stating "I want to be able to activate this as a cellular telephone device without a data plan, using WIFI only!"  I assumed that since I was asking why Verizon wouldn't let me use it that way it would be IMPLIED that I wanted it acitve as a telephone since any brainless twit understands you can used an "inactive" phone anywy you want.

0 Likes
bigtitan
Novice

Becasue they can and because that is what the market tolerates. As business they have every right to tell you what you can and cant do with their service, as a consumer you have the right and responsibility to ask them to suit your needs or to find a service provider who will..

I HATE the mandatory data, but if you want a smartphone activated on Verizon's network there is no legal way to do it without a data plan...as far as I know.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

redillon68 wrote:

It's the tone of your wording, just like Jim's.  "their network, their rules, don't like it, look somewhere else".   That implies "it's wrong to ask". 

And yes, forgive me for not specifically stating "I want to be able to activate this as a cellular telephone device without a data plan, using WIFI only!"  I assumed that since I was asking why Verizon wouldn't let me use it that way it would be IMPLIED that I wanted it acitve as a telephone since any brainless twit understands you can used an "inactive" phone anywy you want.

Since your 'tone' makes me think you want me to assume things you do not say, I will assume you think it would be WRONG for Verizon to not give you something if they have their reasons for denying your request. At least that SEEMS to be the 'tone of your wording'. We will just disagree then, because I do not think just because you want something you should or will get it. Ask away, though, as there is nothing WRONG with that, even if you are implying I am a 'brainless twit'.

It would seem while you read our replies and "think" we are saying it is 'wrong for you to ask' and 'to look somewhere else'(neither of which either one of us actually said), it seems pretty obvious that YOU think it is wrong for us to give you an answer which does not agree with what you want. But, again, I am just reading the 'tone of your wording'. I could be wrong, since you did not actually write that.

0 Likes
keitoflan
Novice

There's nothing wrong with asking them to change. The issue is that until they make the decision to offer those options in their billing choices there's nothing to be done. Obviously all the major providers have decided that not offering voice only plans is the best for their profits. It's up to you if your think that's fair or not.

I know they work find on wifi. I use my droid 3 a ton on my home wifi since the download speeds are better and I'm pretty data intensive since my laptop is effectively an expensive bookend until my tax return comes in.

If you would like other options without the major carriers price plans take a look at Page Plus or other providers that "piggyback" on major carriers towers. You get the benefit of Verizon's coverage without their plans. On the downside this usually means you have to choose from a prepaid plan - but if they have a plan that works for you then that may be the best option. Make sure you sign up with a group that operates on Verizon's CDMA network - a lot of them bounce off of Tmobile/Sprint's GSM networks and won't be compatible with your Verizon CDMA phone.

0 Likes