Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
any change in tiered data plans in near future ?
akalmand

Hello Everyone,

I am looking forward to getting an android phone and my data usage limits are quite limited. I was wondering if verizon will compete with ATT on the data plans structure.

No matter what is being said on 200 MB not enough on a data plan, one can find many posts where people want to have lower limit data plans to afford them. Since Verizon and ATT have always been competitive in their plans and costs, is there a possibilty that Verizon will bring $15 - 200 MB Data plan to compete with ATT in order to may be retain or add more customers in that class. That way you can still have the customers who are looking to switch from basic calling plans to smartphones & then there is always the bigger cap plans who thinks 200MB is not enough.

I like verizon's network & coverage but ATT's pricing is quite attactive. It would be ironic to switch to ATT to later find the same plan on verizon.

Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: any change in tiered data plans in near future ?
dimap
Novice

Well, in theory, anything is possible, and in fact Verizon DID have a $15 150 Meg/mo plan for about 3 months last year. I'm on it. Of course, being Verizon, it simply COULDN'T be 200 Meg, had to be LESS for the $15 price point. But I'm guessing that the uptake of that plan was high enough to scare the whizz out of VZW execs, and so down in flames it went.

They have a $30 2 Gig 3G netbook data plan too now.Plain as day marked out in the broadband plan website I have a 3G Netbook. NOTEbooks don't qualify. Can I get this plan? NOPE. Why not? Selling me my current $40 for 250 MEG is peferable. Or maybe $80 for 10 Gig. How about $50 for 5 Gig? Well, it USED to be available to me, but not any more. Why not? I hate to even imagine a reason for that one.  And oh yeah, to Verizon, my NETbook is a non-qualifying NOTEbook.

These "plans" make me sick.

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

akalmand wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am looking forward to getting an android phone and my data usage limits are quite limited. I was wondering if verizon will compete with ATT on the data plans structure.

No matter what is being said on 200 MB not enough on a data plan, one can find many posts where people want to have lower limit data plans to afford them. Since Verizon and ATT have always been competitive in their plans and costs, is there a possibilty that Verizon will bring $15 - 200 MB Data plan to compete with ATT in order to may be retain or add more customers in that class. That way you can still have the customers who are looking to switch from basic calling plans to smartphones & then there is always the bigger cap plans who thinks 200MB is not enough.

I like verizon's network & coverage but ATT's pricing is quite attactive. It would be ironic to switch to ATT to later find the same plan on verizon.

Thanks,

VZW tried this last year. It was a major flop in that those who did choose the lower limited plan, were screaming on here wanting their bill credited for their overages.

In short, VZW listened, they offered, subs did not like it and VZW pulled it. Yet the few left who have it are grandfathered.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I think the 2GB plan would be a minimum you would need for an Android phone. Otherwise, maybe you don't need the Android.
0 Likes
Re: Any change in tiered data plans in near future?
HateVZLoveVZ

Thankfully, I grabbed the $15 data package when it was available, and I'm holding on to it for as long as I possibly can. I also have a large display multimedia phone that allows me to do everything I want — SMS, Email, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Web and Music—as if I have a Smartphone, without the high cost.

I've looked at AT&T as well, and the packages they offer with a refurbished iPhone 3 are less expensive for total expense than any Verizon Smartphone, mainly because VZ forces the $30 data package for all Smart phones.

I used VZ's data package calculator and determined that even during a month when I might use a lot of data, I actually only use about .3GB (300MB), and that is actually higher because the calculator makes a huge jump in estimated usage at the low end of the scale.

Many people have commented about AT&T's poor reception, but I've experienced some poor coverage with VZ as well. So, I'm willing to take that chance just to see, and save some money in the process.

At the end of my VZ contract, I am going to switch to AT&T. Verizon is losing this customer because of their data package offering and policies.

If Verizon were to offer a decent plan for a Premium Smartphone and a data package for $15 again, I would definietly stay.

0 Likes
Lockup

jimfitzgerald wrote:
I think the 2GB plan would be a minimum you would need for an Android phone. Otherwise, maybe you don't need the Android.

That is completely ridiculous.  The amount of data you are going to use does not justify whether or not you should have a smartphone.   I don't use anywhere near 2GB and yet use mine for all kinds of stuff.  I guess you just forget how they can be hooked up to a wireless network which is exactly what a lot of people do to keep the data usage down. 

0 Likes