Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
mandatory data plan
handdecker

I started using LG windows cell phone because it reads excel and word files. Really handy if you have small business going on, I'm sure there are other reasons for this. I have no intention to use data plan, downloads , internet , no need to pay extra $400 a year for this feature.Verizon started to charge me $30 a month. Without asking, warning, just statement with $30 more per month.I call them and was told that it is a must for smartphone.

As I understand those phones become a computers or already are in a sense, they can organize your stuff, have a notes stored in your packet. Chips are getting faster, more powerful. Yet Verizon is commanding me that I cannot use those fancy legit  features without paying data plan even I do not need one. For what reason, based on what? I have read other Verizon representative posts explaining why there should be this charge. Laugh in the face.

Verizon will not let me use features of today's almost standard phone and is having me paying some kind of "luxury toll" for using this phone. They force me to buy another gadget , yes you hear right I was recommended to buy something else by their representative,>Comment removed to comply with TOS<

No way. Leaving Verizon after more that 10 years.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: mandatory data plan
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Where have you been?  Sorry, but if you don't like it move on.  T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier out of the big 4 if you don't take subsidization for the device where you don't need a data plan for a smartphone.

0 Likes
Re: mandatory data plan
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I assume you purchased the phone from eBay, another person, Craigs List or other such place. If you would have purchased it from Verizon, you would have been told about the mandatory data plan. If this is the case, you can just reactivate your old "basic" phone and use your smartphone without service. I have never tried this, so I am unsure if it would work, but I would assume you can still use the WiFi capability of the phone and view those excel and word files.

0 Likes