Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
"requires unlimited" on deals is obnoxious
mv7

been on verizon for like... 20+ years.  4 lines now, wanted add a 5th for my youngest.  figuring, black friday would be a good day to dive in with whole new phones, etc.  bingo.  thanksgiving has a great deal on iphone 11 with trade ins on all of our old phones.  gonna pull the trigger, but i'm told that "requires unlimited" means not that you have to switch to an unlimited plan to get the deal (which seems like the incentivation to get customers to switch to current plans) rather it means you must ALREADY BE on an unlimited plan and switching takes a full billing cycle.

i really don't understand this.  by all apparent measures, the unlimited plan is a cheaper option compared to what we currently have (xl shared with 4 phones) so why is a more expensive plan that offers less service being short-changed on any potential deals?  my billing cycle doesn't end till the 19th.  every deal "requires unlimited" so the entire shopping season is pretty much caput.

thanks verizon.  well done.

0 Likes
Re: "requires unlimited" on deals is obnoxious
rempson
Novice

I switched to unlimited in a middle of a billing cycle, bringing over two other lines from another account that also switched to unlimited.  We did this a couple of months ago.  My son just added a line to his account and they all switched to unlimited in the middle  of their cycle.  It does generate a lot of credits and debits, but it all works out in the end.  

Did someone tell you that you can't switch your plan in the middle  of the monthly billing period?

0 Likes
mv7

yeah, and now i'm pretty furious.  i was told i cannot switch mid cycle.  she was pretty clear and said it multiple times.  i asked if speaking to somebody above her could make it happen.  nope.  i was out of luck.  went online the next day to inquire about it and the rep says "no sweat" and switches me on the spot.  what the #@#@?  so i could get the deal friday, which was not very good at all compared the deal thursday.   we have 5 devices we were going to trade in.  $200 per device on friday vs $400 on thursday.  $500 iphone 11 vs $300 iphone 11.  explained what i was told to the rep and he said he'd spoken to his manager and was unable to honor the thursday deal.

guess we need to shop around.

0 Likes
Tigerstep

5 lines on start unlimited with autopay is $30 each or $150. 5 lines on the 8GB plan is $170 ($70 plan + $20 per line).

Whoever informed you that you can't change mid cycle is misinformed. Any data package larger than what you have currently can be backdated to start of your current cycle.

0 Likes
mv7

yeah, the person who informed me that i couldn't switch to unlimited was the same representative that told me i should hold on off adding a line since that would also not get me any good promo since i'd need to have unlimited before adding the line.  i questioned the logic of that, but it didn't occur to me that the reps might simply be wrong.  if i've learned anything form this, it's that if you don't get the answer you're looking for, just try again and maybe you'll get a rep that knows what they're doing.

i gotta say, i'm waiting for cyber monday to see how the deals stack up.  been with verizon for... heck, 20+ years.  but i ain't spending an extra $1k to stay loyal.  that's just stupid.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

mv7,

Your 20+ years of loyalty is greatly appreciated, and I'm sorry for the miscommunication that occurred regarding switching the plan over. It's vital that we keep you in the Verizon family for many years to come and I'm confident we can get this addressed. Although I am not privy to the deals rolling out for Cyber Monday, I am certain we'll have options to satisfy your needs. If further assistance is still needed, please let us know and we'll leap into action.

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
mv7

i appreciate the sentiment, but attempting to get anybody to "leap into action" has been met with a pretty tepid response so far.  the chat sessions don't tend to go anywhere useful.  trying the support phone number.  i'll see if they can actually do something instead of offering excuses.

0 Likes
mv7

so after about 2 hours on the phone with customer service (1 hour waiting to even talk to somebody).  it sounds like they've decided to honor their original deal.  or at least, that's what they're saying.  it's a start, i suppose.  since the deal is essentially how much credit i'll get when trading in our phones, there's every possibility that when the phones are traded in they won't actually get the amount promised, but i suppose i'll cross that bridge when i get there.

so the lesson to take from all of this: online reps don't know what they're doing sometimes.  so if it seems like you're not getting good info, try another rep.  it would have saved me many hours of time if i'd just tried again on thursday.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We definitely understand the concern when it comes to taking advantage of the promotions, mv7, and we want to ensure that we can address your concern. At the end, did you complete the promotion for the upgrades? VianeyP_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are glad to hear that we were able to help you find a solution, and we want you to know that we will always be here to assist you if you ever need anything in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to us again if you ever need anything else in the future. Thank you for being the best part of the Verizon family, and we hope you have a fantastic rest of your day!

DavidR_VZW

0 Likes