Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
under contract for a line but have no phone for it
jen40

I would like advice on a problem with an extra line. I have a plan with 5 cell lines and a mobile hotspot 4g LTE. My niece who is moving off to college went in to a verizon store to see if she could transfer her phone line and have her on account. I wasnt with her so dont know how she asked exactly but the rep just opened her a new account with a new phone number and gave her $250 trade in on her 4 month old iphone4 bought in same store with a new contract just 4 months ago and gave her a new iphone 4g. The result was I am left with an open line I dont have a phone for or a need for and it has a 2 year contract. I was told I cant even have the rate plan I pay on it reduced because I dont have a phone appropriate to transfer it to. The clerk should have done a transfer of service and should have known that was best option when they looked at the account. If Im correct they are not allowed to recieve that phone as trade in if there isnt another phone to first transfer the plan to. That alone should have been a red flag. My niece told me about it afterwards and said I was suppose to call the rep and tell them it was ok to do that. Well I did call and after talking with them they agreed it was not done correctly but no solution offered. I called support line and was told I could by a cheap used verizon phone and call info to them and they could then lower the rate plan to a non smartphone and that would help some. So anyone got any ideas to utilize the line?

0 Likes
Re: under contract for a line but have no phone for it
lewisr13
Leader

If it's within 14 days of the purchase, she should be able to return the phone and cancel the line. If it's a Verizon Corporate store. You don't have any old Verizon basic phones around? ask a friend.

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

That sure sounds like a 3rd party reseller to me. VZW corp stores do not take phones as trade ins. Period. She may be stuck with an ETF to pay, even if she gets out of the new contract.

0 Likes
NuDroidUsrr

budone wrote:

That sure sounds like a 3rd party reseller to me. VZW corp stores do not take phones as trade ins. Period. She may be stuck with an ETF to pay, even if she gets out of the new contract.

Verizon (or any reseller) is supposed to ask for the pin code of the holder of the account, so since she probably didn't know it, they may have just said "Why don't we just get you a new line, and it will be just like moving it".

Some of those Authorized Reseller places look just like regular Verizon stores, they have the black and red Verizon painted on the walls and everything, it is not until you look a little lower and you see the name of the company, and it says "An Authorized Verizon Reseller".

0 Likes
Intocable
Novice

tell your niece to give you the money for the ETF. dont let her off the hook . who does she think she is. she thinks she can just piggy ride off your credit for a line and then when she finds it convenient just abandon the line? tell her there are repercussions for abandoning a line and that means an ETF.

PJNC284

NuDroidUsrr wrote:

budone wrote:

Verizon (or any reseller) is supposed to ask for the pin code of the holder of the account, so since she probably didn't know it, they may have just said "Why don't we just get you a new line, and it will be just like moving it".

Some of those Authorized Reseller places look just like regular Verizon stores, they have the black and red Verizon painted on the walls and everything, it is not until you look a little lower and you see the name of the company, and it says "An Authorized Verizon Reseller".

What's odd is they took a device for trade-in that's tied to another line.  That phone is pretty much a brick for whoever gets it.

0 Likes