Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unlimited tethering plan
halfmonkey

I recently visited a vz store to inquire about adding tethering to our plan and the info that I received made me a little suspicious as I don't totally believe it to be accurate. We're currently on a family plan with 2 phones on unlimited data plans. We're grandfathered in and not under the new limited data plans. I have a droid and my wife has a droid x. I asked the guy about adding tethering to our plan and he looked up our acct and said that if we upgrade at least one phone to 4g and add tethering, the tethering plan will be unlimited data. I asked what happens if we don't upgrade to 4g and just add tethering to one of our existing droid phones and he said that it would be capped. I don't remember what the cap was.

Can anybody confirm if this information is correct, specifically about upgrading to a 4g phone such as the Bionic and getting unlimited tethering for $30? If this is actually true, we might consider it. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: unlimited tethering plan
DbG2514
Novice

Since you are on the $29.99 unlimited dat package on both of your phones, you can upgrade both or just one of your phones to a 4G smartphone, keep the unlimited data package for your phone and add the $30 mobile hotspot feature and get unlimited mobile hotspot. If you upgrade to another 3G smartphone, you can add the $20 mobile hotspot feature and you will only have a 2GB mobile hotspot allowance each month.

Hope this answers your question

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DbG2514
Novice

Since you are on the $29.99 unlimited dat package on both of your phones, you can upgrade both or just one of your phones to a 4G smartphone, keep the unlimited data package for your phone and add the $30 mobile hotspot feature and get unlimited mobile hotspot. If you upgrade to another 3G smartphone, you can add the $20 mobile hotspot feature and you will only have a 2GB mobile hotspot allowance each month.

Hope this answers your question

0 Likes
Not applicable
Where are the details of the $30 unlimited mobile Hotspot plan listed? I have never heard of that.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Jim, since the unlimited hotspot only qualifies for customers who are on a grandfathered unlimited plan, it is not on our website. You would need to add this feature when activating the phone at the store or contact customer service afterwards. 

0 Likes
Not applicable
So, how do we know it exist. I have a Droid with a grandfathered unlimited data plan for $30. Are you saying that I could add the tethering feature and it would be unlimited also? How much would it cost $20 or $30? Or, is this only available as part of an upgrade to a 4G phone?
0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

jimfitzgerald wrote:
So, how do we know it exist. I have a Droid with a grandfathered unlimited data plan for $30. Are you saying that I could add the tethering feature and it would be unlimited also? How much would it cost $20 or $30? Or, is this only available as part of an upgrade to a 4G phone?

iirc its for 4g only

it has been talked about on the forums before, although breifly

and there was a flyer out there someplace

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks. That is very interesting. It almost makes an upgrade from my 3G Droid to a 4G Bionic start to make sense. I'll be eligible in December for an upgrade. I also have a USB760 with an expired 5GB data plan that was originally $60 per month for one year. Now, I simply activate it when I am traveling and get charged $2 per day. It might be worth spending a little more each month for 4G speed available 30 days a month.
0 Likes
rohit2011

I called customer service and they said they cannot honor the grandfathered unlimited data and tethering. Could you please point to something written/website/policy that I can direct the customer service rep to? Thanks.

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Jim, I just got the unlimited hotspot added, it is awesome

0 Likes