Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
why isn't the data with moble hotspot 50 dollar plan doubled?
lime4x4

I'm currently getting the 4 gigs for 30 bucks deal. was thinking of upgrading to the the 4 gig with moble hotspot but it only shows up as 6 gigs on the double data promotion. Shouldn't it be 8 gigs? If i just add moble hotspot to my current data plan i get 6 gigs

0 Likes
Re: why isn't the data with moble hotspot 50 dollar plan doubled?
podstolom

It's whatever VZW wants it to be. They doubled the 2 gig to 4 Gig, but the hotspot is still $20 for 2 extra gigs, hence 6 gig total. Should they have doubled the whole data allowance? Would be nice sure, but they decided not to do that.

Personally, I think they should have opened up the hotspot at no add'l charge, data allowance extension or not, when they went to tiered plans. It's an old tune by now, but if I[[m paying for a capped data package of gigabytes, I should have the privilidge of using any device I choose, be it smart phone, modem, hotspot or embedded modem in a netbook, notebook, or tablet, and use it as the phone permits, internet sharing included.  To do anything less as carriers do now is unetical,

Car dealers don't cripple the use of the radio if I don't buy a "radio plan". Wireless companies should not be allowed to do this either. What's needed is  strong federal REGULATION of the private sector. I want telcos regulated as Type II Public Utilities and their limitations to provide data transport ONLY, not content or arbitration of what content flows over their **bleep** pipes just because they OWN them.

0 Likes
ocean_pilot

It is very interesting to watch how all the telcos abuse their customers with their pricing games on data.

I predict it will eventually result in a "Netflix" moment for them ... then it will reach dam breaking proportions.

The result will be a flood of customers using it for data going back to cable.

And I don't believe It isn't that far off either.  Once gone it'll take a considerable time for any price incentives to get 'em back.

Heh heh ... they won't have to worry about enough bandwidth then .... huh guys?

A Netflix moment .... I like that!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

ocean_pilot wrote:

It is very interesting to watch how all the telcos abuse their customers with their pricing games on data.

I predict it will eventually result in a "Netflix" moment for them ... then it will reach dam breaking proportions.

The result will be a flood of customers using it for data going back to cable.

And I don't believe It isn't that far off either.  Once gone it'll take a considerable time for any price incentives to get 'em back.

Heh heh ... they won't have to worry about enough bandwidth then .... huh guys?

A Netflix moment .... I like that!

Problem with this is I don't think there are enough people using it as a replacement for home internet connections for it to make a difference. The hotspot is more for data on the move and NOT for data in one geographic location only. Sure there are some, but I would wager the VAST MAJORITY of hotspot users are not in this category.

0 Likes
Jax_Omen
Sadly, on the consumer side of things, you'd be very wrong. The vast, VAST majority of consumers who use Mobile Broadband solutions are people who live in rural areas and choose cellular internet as an alternative to dial up or satellite solutions.
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Jax_Omen wrote:
Sadly, on the consumer side of things, you'd be very wrong. The vast, VAST majority of consumers who use Mobile Broadband solutions are people who live in rural areas and choose cellular internet as an alternative to dial up or satellite solutions.

Out of curiosity, is this an opinion, or do you have actual facts to back this up, as you seem to imply. Mine was an opinion, based on the fact that the previous poster stated unless Verizon changed their pricing they would experience " a flood of customers using it for data going back to cable." Why leave cable in the first place for a slower and more expensive medium if thefaster, cheaper cable medium was available? Doesn't make sense.

I also think that the population density in urban areas with people commuting and utilizing cellular data for their laptops/tablets could offset a much larger geographical area which would encompass a much lower density of users. But again, this is only an opinion.

0 Likes
Jax_Omen
I used to work customer service in the cellular industry. Not saying which carrier :smileytongue:

But yeah, rarely got a call from a *consumer* account that wasn't using it as rural home broadband. business accounts, of course, were another issue altogether.
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Jax_Omen wrote:
...rarely got a call from a *consumer* account that wasn't using it as rural home broadband. business accounts, of course, were another issue altogether.

I'm not sure what this really means. Are you not counting business users of broadband mobile data among the users of boradband mobile data, whether they are individuals using it for business reasons or actual businesses with multiple devices for business reasons. It seems to me that these would be the majority of Verizon's broadband mobile data users, which would also most likely not be rural users. Businesses are also *consumers* of Verizon's services.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Jax_Omen wrote:
I used to work customer service in the cellular industry. Not saying which carrier :smileytongue:

But yeah, rarely got a call from a *consumer* account that wasn't using it as rural home broadband. business accounts, of course, were another issue altogether.

Additionally, out of the users of mobile broadband, it would seem logical that you would receive more calls at customer service from rural areas on a per capita basis which could skew your anecdotal evidence.

1 - In rural areas you would most likely receive more calls due to coverage problems, since coverage is more complete in urban areas.

2 - In rural areas you would most likely receive more calls due to allowance overages due to people in urban areas utilizing other means to access data when available.

There are plenty of reasons why you would receive more calls at CS from rural users than urban users other than the possibility that there are more rural users.

0 Likes
Jax_Omen
Of course it's a skewed sample. And when I say "consumers", I mean "anyone non-corporate", because corporate callers got routed to another center, so I never took those calls.

Most of the people who called were rural customers calling about overage because they had a kid/family member/etc from the city come use their MBB like a landline connection the rest were generally from a couple major cities (NY, chicago, LA) and business people who expensed their personal account to their work (and really shouldn't be included in this sample, but were -_-).

just my experience is all.
0 Likes