928 and LTE - horrible experience with DATA connectivity
PhantomVirus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had Windows phones on VZW since the the old 5.x days. Used a Trophy for  well over a year and an 8X for a while and it was OK. When the 928 shipped I bought it on day one. LOVE the phone but absolutely am disappointed in LTE and the service.

I have to reset the phone multiple times a day by either rebooting it (power off) or switching it to Airplane Mode in otder to fix the IP stack and get data to work again.

It affects Voice commands/translation, all internet searching, SMS txting (speech to TXT), location searches (Nokia HERE for example), Pandora/streaming, STORE apps - basically anything needing DATA..

I have hard reset the device twice based on VzW tech support with no luck and have swapped out the SIM card at a local VzW retail store. No joy. I continue to have problems. The issue seems to be stemming from a LTE-3G-LTE handoff.  I live in western NJ and never get more than 2 bars signal on the phone (the 3G TROPHY never had any issues in the same area) and the phone drops from LTE to 3G to 1xRTT and back often.

Suggestions are appreciated as this is getting very old and my Android and iPhone friends (while mostly on 3G) don't seem to have these issues.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 928 and LTE - horrible experience with DATA connectivity
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PhantomVirus, old habits die young. Recently, when you hard reset your device, did you redownload the same applications that you had before? Some application software can affect the performance of your device. I recommend that you uninstall any unwanted application and power it off/on to soft reset it. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

*old habits die hard

PhantomVirus
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK after spending nearly 90 minutes across a few different days with Nokia and VzW support I RMAed  the device. The new phone exhibits some of these issues occasionally but nothing like the disaster device that the last phone was.

Seems like the answer to When in Doubt is RMA the phone and just get a replacement.

For the person that recommended removing apps that might have been problematic :

1) it's a SMARTPHONE if I didn't want apps I would carry a flip phone

2) I hard reset the device no less than 6 times with the last 2 time only applying GRD2+Amber and it continued to exhibit issues

3) old habits do die hard and there are no MANDATORY apps thet I feel that I needed so I was able to replicate an out of the box experience like a new phone but still had data issues.

Here's to hoping that the new (new to me but an obvious refurb) device plays nice nice.

0 Likes