ATT's "translation" tv commercial, app?
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi all.

I've been seeing ATT's translation app tv commercial, where this english speaking kid talks into his phone, asking for some info, and the phone gives a speech translation to an elderly gentleman.

[removed redirected link]

Has such an app actually been developed yet, or is it just part of an ad campaign to sell more att phones?

http://www.research.att.com/projects/Speech_Translation/?fbid=baZ9YGSZ8IK

I've searched the marketplace and see numerous apps, but have no means of determining if it's the same app as used on the tv commercial.

The phone looks like it could be a windows, or android phone-- it definitely does not appear to be an iphone. Watch the commercial on the link provided.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ATT's "translation" tv commercial, app?
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

If there is an app such as this, I am not aware of it.  I would think that it is probably technically possible, but you would have to do all the heavy hitting on a server, so it wouldn't be a fast app.  Even in Mango, the speech to text uses a service to do the interpretation - it's not actually done in the phone.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

It's quite simple and I believe it is the Google Android translation system.

The processing is being done on Google's server clusters worldwide in the data-centers.

The phone is 3G data roaming in Europe, standard Google Android, translate, send to Google server, get back response.

Just standard Android stuff. You can do it today on an Android phone.

Oh this is Windows Mobile, wrong platform.

Of course this being Google they have their OWN PLATFORM to sell, Windows Mobile is a competitor. 

But maybe a 3rd party company will come up with it.

0 Likes
Jamieacci

The translation app in the AT&T commercial is a simulation, but it looks a lot like an app called "Jibbigo" that works on iPhones and Android phones.   Jibbigo works offline, so you can use it when you travel and you won't incur roaming fees or data charges.   Here's the website:  www.jibbigo.com.   Google Translate only works when you have an internet connection, so you probably wouldn't want to use it overseas unless you have a really good data plan.

0 Likes