Re: Alarm on Samsung Brightside not working
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

You are certainly not alone and I have absolute confidence stating that all consumers who have purchased a Samsung Bright have purchased a defective phone and neither Verizon nor Samsung has yet to advise the public that this is now going on FOUR MONTHS (it will be FIVE MONTHS August 11th) and NOTHING has been done.

A software update showed up on my phone at 3:39 am two mornings ago - it certainly didn't fix the Calendar nor the Alarm.

Consumers have been so duped by this phone.

But I remain steadfast in getting this information out to as many consumers as possible.

i will keep you posted!

0 Likes
peroija

got this phone back at the beginning of june 2012. calendar was iffy to begin with and the times that the alarm didn't work i thought i may have dismissed the alarm on accident. within in the last week or two all calendar events are not working and the alarm stopped going off.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

if you read through all the threads, the phone has been defective since it was introduced to the Verizon community. Allegedly, Samsung engineers (because of my constant phone calls, letters and posts) are aware of this problem but to date (it will be 5 months I've been battling this August 11th) no software update and no solution is in site.

Consumers have been duped by this phone and it's a shame because the Samsung Brightsides are defective and have been since Day 1 but both Verizon and Samsung would lose a nice chunk of profit if they issued a recall on this phone.

good luck. keep posting on the forum!

0 Likes
JimSlimbo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another update.  So my supposed workaround of erasing the alarms daily failed as of two days ago!  Two days ago all of my calendar events stopped triggering and my morning alarm has failed to go off for the last two mornings.  Arg!

Perhaps when I was doing all of that experimenting there were some other actions I took alongside with erasing the alarms that resulted in the alarm and calendar working again.  The search for a workaround (besides the complete phone reset) continues.

I noticed the phone received an update (don't know what kind of update it was) about a week ago but it seemed to have zero impact on the alarm/calendar debacle.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

Hello JimSlimbo: nothing you did or didn't do messed up the alarm and the calendar. the phone is defective and has been since it rolled off the assembly line at Samsung. It just took me and all my posts and phone calls and letters to get SOMEONE to acknowledge there is a problem.

google :"firmware." i am now convinced this isn't a software issue but a firmware issue. if that's the case, this phone is going to be slid on the floor to the back of the bus, kicked out the emergency exit and crushed forever and not Verizon and not Samsung are going to do a damn thing about it. Neither cares. they're both billion dollar companies and we consumers? peons in the dust. You, me, and the millions of others who forked over an average $150 are STUCK with this phone until we are eligible for an "upgrade" because Verizon will NOT give ALL of us free new phones that work.

corporate america at its finest.

did you see how the calendar dates 'change' by themselves when you open an event, look at it, close it, look at a FUTURE event, close that one then go back to the first one? the date on the first one mysteriously changes to the future event date. all by itself.

keep me posted!

0 Likes
teecee28

My mother bought this phone on May 16, 2012. The alarms available was the main reason she purchased the phone. The alarms worked for 3 weeks then quit. Occasionally one will work. Also we aren't able to get any music or pictures onto the phone. I have tried everything. My mother is on my account. I went to the Verizon store and they were so rude. My options to get a refurbished phone when hers is less than 3 months old and she paid over $200 for this phone. Other option is to cancel my entire plan and pay the early termination fees. I have 5 phones on my account. I called 611 and spoke to them. The lady gave me the number to Samsung and told me to try that. Samsung wants you to mail the phone in and it may be fixed under warranty or your expense. So I asiked for the refurbished phone. It came in 2 days. We received it today. I hope its better, if not Verizon will be sending me phones every week at their shipping expense. It is not right to give you a refurbished phone when yours is less than 3 months old. What good is a warranty if you are getting other peoples crap phones. That does not sound like a warranty to me.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

The alleged Certified Like New Samsung Brightsides (i.e. refurbished phones) is also defective. All of the Brightsides are defective. I have been involved in this for five months now and Samsung is and has acknowledged there is a defect in the form of either a software or firmware matter.

I guarantee that the alarm and the calendar on your "refurbished" phone will not work - if it's a Samsung Brightside. They are defective - all of them.

here's another kicker: Verizon will not reimburse you for ringtones you download to any "new" phone or refurbished phones even though the original phone itself is defective. nice customer service, huh?

please continue to check these threads in this forum. I have several regarding the defective Samsung Brightside.

I refused to accept a refurbished because myself, a regional Verizon manager and a store owner determined ALL the Brightsides are defective so any alleged refurbished ones are also defective.

good luck.

0 Likes
teecee28

What should we do then if all of these phones are defective. It is under a

2 year contract and to cancel it would be 240 dollars plus what was paid

for the phone.

Teresa (removed customer personal information as per VZW Community TOS) 

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

Teresa - don't cancel the contracts. There may be a resolution in the future but Samsung is dragging its feet because apparently this is a far more serious issue than it thought. I was the one who made so much noise about it that Samsung AND Verizon had no choice but to acknowledge that there is a defect but both have not done so publicly Smiley Sad

i know this is frustrating - believe me - I had my original brightside, and the owner of the retail store at which i purchased it gave me a brand new out of the box phone (identical Brightside) and that too epic failed. i met with the regional manager of verizon for this area and he brought a brand new brightside with him and that too epic failed.

if you can't afford it, don't cancel the contract.

i would continue to call Verizon and let them know of your displeasure. but stay in touch with me because I am on top of this and I will not give up this fight. i too am under contract so I am in the same boat.

hang in there and stay in touch.

I can't sign my name because I've been flagged by Verizon - you would not believe the things it has done to me to try and stop me from writing about the defective Brightside. It even tampered with my FIOS account, too. how sick is that? corporate greed at its finest.

0 Likes
teecee28

Please keep me informed about this phone. I really appreciate you taking

time to communicate with me. My mother is on disability and only receives

668 dollars a month so this phone was a big investment for her. I to had a

terrible customer service experience at the store. Hopefully Samsung will

get their act together. I have a Samsung Droid Charge and love it.  We will

just suffer for two years I guess. Thank you PMAck for the insight. Save my

email address and keep me in the loop. It is (email address has been removed to comply with VZW Community TOS). How

frustrating to pay out money for a faulty piece of crap! I was treated so

bad yesterday at the store. I called 611 and the customer service was

excellent. I will deal with them on the phone before I ever step foot in

that store. No more commission from me. The manager had no concern to keep

my business. I asked how much to get out of all the contracts and he wrote

it down and had no care in the world for customer retention. It would cost

875 dollars to get all 5 lines out. My bill is just under 300 a month. I

told customer care about everything and they sent a detailed complaint for

me. I have been with this company since 1997. Well through all the buy

outs. Anyway thanks again.

Teresa (removed customer personal information to comply with VZW Community TOS)

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes