Any success upgrading Lumia Icon to Windows 10?
JXJLLM72
Enthusiast - Level 2

The W10 upgrade for the Lumia Icon is available now.  I have tried to run the upgrade several times, including doing a hard reset to factory settings, but nothing works ... Once the phone stars (on full battery and plug in) with the installation it gets into a loop that shows the Nokia logo, the installation wheels moving for 2-3 minutes ... then the phone reboots, show the battery icon, reboots again and start this cycle all over again.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any success upgrading Lumia Icon to Windows 10?
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've upgrade more than 5 lumia icons to Windows 10 in the last two days from 8.1 and all upgraded fine.  You can probably fix your issues by using the Windows Device Recovery tool.  There's a download link in this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RichG13
Enthusiast - Level 2

All day trying to upgrade and now have a gimped phone after a hard reset.  Upgrade Advisor says W10 is not available for my device. This was after it erroring out all day WITH it detecting an available W10 upgrade.

30+ views for your post but we're probably the only two Icon users in NA...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were you running the Win10 preview before or is this a fresh install from 8.1?

Is the phone get hot with the install loop? If so, try placing in somewhere it can cool down and leave it alone for a while.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've upgrade more than 5 lumia icons to Windows 10 in the last two days from 8.1 and all upgraded fine.  You can probably fix your issues by using the Windows Device Recovery tool.  There's a download link in this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

0 Likes
JXJLLM72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thx Robert. Did you use the tool to upgrade or to reset you Lumia?

Sent from my Windows Phone

0 Likes
RichG13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Robert,

Thanks for the help.  I used the Device Recovery tool to wipe the phone and re-installed 8.1.  After the initial boot I skipped all the setup requests and even bypassed logging in with my Windows creds.  After getting to the home screen I ran another update from the Phone Update menu (I think it started to auto download on its own.)

After another reboot I had to log into my account to download the Upgrade Advisor from the store.  It detected W10 upgrade was ready so then I went to Phone Update to complete.  After about an hour W10 is finally installed.

Thanks again for your help.

Rich

RichG13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes,  I follow Roberts advice and used the recover tool.  Once your fully wiped with a fresh install avoid logging in or syncing anything, until you’re forced to in order to get the Upgrade Advisor from the store.  That worked for me.

Good Luck!

robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't have to use the device recovery tool to upgrade any icons but I have used it in the past on other models.  I'm glad you all got it working, enjoy Windows 10!

In the future they'll probably upgrade the device recovery tool with the Win 10 update for the icon so you'll be able to go straight to that instead of 8.1.

0 Likes
afh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Similar story. Both of my daughters have Lumia Icon phones. One of them upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile with no issues. The other was throwing 0x80070070 errors during the upgrade process, even though it had more than 6GB free.

I deleted photos and videos from the device and got it up to about 10GB free and tried again. Same out-of-storage error code as before. So, I reset the phone.

After the reset, the Windows Upgrade Advisor stated that the phone could not be upgraded. In disbelief, I tried resetting it a couple more times, and it did not change the issue.

Upon restoring the software using the Device Recovery Tool, and performing the obligatory interim update subsequent to that restore, the device became eligible for the upgrade again.

Seems a bit odd that a reset would have caused that issue.

0 Likes
Mstrcook
Enthusiast - Level 1

My husband and I just upgraded our Icons to Windows 10.  We started by downloading the Upgrade advisor app.  The download was a piece of cake.  Windows 10 is running flawlessly on both devices.  The battery runs down faster now, but I can manage that.  I feel like I have a new phone.  Really liking it.  Thanks Verizon for approving the download for us Icon users.

0 Likes