Re: Anyone Else Pleased with the Trophy?
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm an older person, and had a wm6.1 phone before.

It took me a while, but after getting a 16gb micro card, I found myself in hog heaven.

I had the tools I wanted, could use the calendar as I needed, move files back and forth, bluetooth things off/on the phone, etc.... I had a great library I could listen, read, etc.....

My only real complaint-- and I had a few-- was that the screen was smaller than my eyes liked.

I finally gave in last week after my old phone became corrupted and was no longer usable. Multiple failed attempts at removing the files so I could hard reset failed, so I got the new Trophy.

1- very nice interface. I think they call it Metro UI.

2- great speed/app access.

3- nice camera.... I'm liking this. My last one was only a 1.3mp cam. shoddy pics/videos.

4- ease of use.

5- lots of free goodies on the marketplace.

cons----

cannot do anything I used to take for granted on my wm6.1.

Can't set customized calendar recurrences to the degree I could before.

can't bluetooth files off/on device.

can't import contacts/calendar/tasks to new phone from outlook pro.

can't use active synch/windows mobile device center

can't use device as a storage tool to cart files of own choosing around.

To many newcomers, apparently these are non-issues, and I'm happy for them.

I however require a tool more than I do a pocket-sized entertainment center.

I had both a tool and a not entirely impressive entertainment center in my pocket with the old phone.

I've just spent the last hour attempting to reset my old phone, and nothing is working. If I ever figure it out-- I'm really considering going back until I can find a phone that does what I actually need it to do, instead of what someone tells me I'm supposed to want it to do....

Overall-- I give the trophy a 5.

Impressive for entertainment, but sucks in tool-design.

I'll try it for another couple of weeks, and see if I can convince myself it's worth the time I'm now beginning to get increasingly frustrated over.

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't gotten use to the old tool stuff I could do with the wm6.1 phone. I really did find myself taking that for granted.... and enjoyed it immensely!!!!

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can use the Outlook Connector to sync your Outlook contacts and calendar with the Trophy. I've done this and it works great. Here are the instructions:

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/how-to-sync-windows-phone-7-with-outlook

Currently WP7 doesn't support Tasks but this functionality is supposed to be added with the Mango release later this year. Not sure if these will also sync with the Outlook Connector at that time.

It's true that WP7 doesn't allow direct access to the file system but there are several ways you can transfer files to and from your Trophy. The first is to use SkyDrive. This is Microsoft's free cloud based tool for storing documents and pictures. Once you set up a Windows Live account you should have access to SkyDrive. For syncing music, podcasts, videos and pictures, you can also use the Zune application which is also available for free as a download from Microsoft.

0 Likes
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Chud,

I have numerous private contacts which I was explicitly told to not give out/make public.

The store clerks, and MS answer's people have already told me about this one....

This is actually one the things which bothers me about the contacts issue.

I had a few contacts on my live account-- emails-- which automatically downloaded to my phone. When I finally figured out where they'd come from, and went to delete them, I got a message which stated those would be deleted from my hotmail account as well....

Why in the world would anyone FORCE you to have contacts all in a single location, when you were content having them as they were?

to me this is.... a totally impolite phrase here....!!!

While I haven't been into the web side of my live account, I'm guessing at this point, those 3 contacts are gone. What I'm now curious about is-- is their "friend" status gone as well because I removed them from my phone, on Live.com?

I have my contacts where they are for an explicit reason. I do not like having to be forced to do something I do not want done. It's ridiculous!!!

So, thank you for the information, knew about it already-- do not want that.

0 Likes
jimho
Enthusiast - Level 2

SteveBMe wrote:

Thanks Chud,

I have numerous private contacts which I was explicitly told to not give out/make public.

The store clerks, and MS answer's people have already told me about this one....

This is actually one the things which bothers me about the contacts issue.

I had a few contacts on my live account-- emails-- which automatically downloaded to my phone. When I finally figured out where they'd come from, and went to delete them, I got a message which stated those would be deleted from my hotmail account as well....

Why in the world would anyone FORCE you to have contacts all in a single location, when you were content having them as they were?

to me this is.... a totally impolite phrase here....!!!

While I haven't been into the web side of my live account, I'm guessing at this point, those 3 contacts are gone. What I'm now curious about is-- is their "friend" status gone as well because I removed them from my phone, on Live.com?

I have my contacts where they are for an explicit reason. I do not like having to be forced to do something I do not want done. It's ridiculous!!!

So, thank you for the information, knew about it already-- do not want that.

I'm still pretty happy with mine- there are times I wish the screen were bigger. Steve- Age has nothing to do with it. I think most of your issues stem from a desire to use your phone as a companion to your PC as opposed to another way to access your information. The paradigm shift has already occured- the prefered mechanism for sharing data between devices is through the web via web services- connecting to your desktop to sync is not only no longer necessary, it's undesirable.

You seem to be a bit confused here, and clearly frustrated- I read your other post regarding syncing contacts as well... you described what you did, but not what you were trying to accomplish.

Why would your contacts become public by importing them into your live or hotmail account? I have 5 accounts with separate contact lists and separate calendars. It integrates beautifully with Windows phone. My contacts are not public and they are not in one location - please clarify your comment.

Are you talking about making them visible to your friends on facebook (something completely different).  Putting asside what you've done and been told....

Exactly what is it you are trying to do and how and why are you worried about exposing contacts to the public?

Firs

0 Likes