Re: Anyone else waiting for a better WP7 device on Verizon?
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

boe wrote:

There are rumors of a more Galaxy like device for WP7 coming with mango.   Hopefully Verizon won't be playing games with MS on the next hardware batch.   I'd really like a really good WP7 phone on Verizon.

I sure hope there's something better.  I'm QUITE disappointed in this phone, after having used a Samsung Focus for two weeks.  I am quite disappointed in HTC on this one as well.  I've loved hte other 4 HTC phones I've owned.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

hopmedic wrote:

I sure hope there's something better.  I'm QUITE disappointed in this phone, after having used a Samsung Focus for two weeks.  I am quite disappointed in HTC on this one as well.  I've loved hte other 4 HTC phones I've owned.

Understandable the Focus has a bigger screen, a sharper screen that is easier to read at more of angle, the Focus is slimmer and has better battery life.   The only thing the Trophy has going for it is Verizon. 

0 Likes
SmoothDouglas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am disappointed with the HTC Trophy in comparison to the other phones.  However, I am on Verizon and AT&T has OK service and no UNLIMITED Data.  That made the HTC Trophy the only device I really could get.  I wish Verizon had a similar Samsung Focus or Dell Venue Pro.  I LOVE both of those devices.  I'll be content with my Trophy when I get it on Tuesday.  However, I have the $$ to change it out for whatever comes along when Mango arrives.  I'm hoping for a killer phone from Verizon when that time comes around.  The HTC will do just fine for the next 6-8 months.  I'll then give it to my wife or sell it online and buy something better.

0 Likes
texanator
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought about waiting, but the trophy is very nice and, well, it's  not an iPhone.

Seriously, though. While it's not as polished as the focus it runs very smoothly. I'm enjoying Harvest and the other games and watching Netflix on my phone is awesome.

It's worth getting now, and was worth the wait.

0 Likes
cgon
Enthusiast - Level 3
I think I may be the only person that prefers the Trophy over the Focus from a design aspect. I've played around with a friend's and there's something about the shape that bothers me. I don't like the curve at the bottom. And for me, I like having a little more weight to the phone. The Focus is just too light for me. On terms of specs, as long as my phone runs smoothly (and it does) I'm good to go.

What's the Focus like un sunlight? It's been my experience that OLED-type screens are horrible in sunlight. I know my Zune HD is almost unusable in bright sunlight.
0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

cgon wrote:
I think I may be the only person that prefers the Trophy over the Focus from a design aspect. I've played around with a friend's and there's something about the shape that bothers me. I don't like the curve at the bottom. And for me, I like having a little more weight to the phone. The Focus is just too light for me. On terms of specs, as long as my phone runs smoothly (and it does) I'm good to go.

What's the Focus like un sunlight? It's been my experience that OLED-type screens are horrible in sunlight. I know my Zune HD is almost unusable in bright sunlight.

I agree with you about the curve at the bottom of the Focus.  I want a phone that will lay flat on a table.  I had put a rubbery grip thing on the back of the Focus I had, and I had to reposition it three times to find a place where it would actually fit, and also touch the surface it was sitting on.  The AMOLED screen is SWEET, too.  I don't recall using it in sunlight, though, so I can't say whether I found your experience to be the case for me or not.

0 Likes
hogs518

How can some of y'all judge a phone you haven't used? I've had the phone since Friday and I am extremely impressed. If I could some up the phone in one word it would be Smooth. So much smoother than my Droid 2 and my friends messed with it and they were highly impressed with how smooth and quick you can do anything on the phone (they have iphones). And with the batteries, there are plenty of options with buying higher power batteries, either ones that fit normally in the Trophy or require a larger cover.

And when it comes to 4G, I read somewhere recently that only 2 cities in the nation have true 4G service. Verizon is about to add I think 15 or so more cities very soon, but chances are you might not live in one of those cities. The article went on to say that Verizon will have complete 4G service by the end of 2013....2013???? So if you're from a smaller state like me, there's a good chance you won't have 4G service for a very long time.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

hogs518 wrote:

How can some of y'all judge a phone you haven't used? I've had the phone since Friday and I am extremely impressed. If I could some up the phone in one word it would be Smooth. So much smoother than my Droid 2 and my friends messed with it and they were highly impressed with how smooth and quick you can do anything on the phone (they have iphones). And with the batteries, there are plenty of options with buying higher power batteries, either ones that fit normally in the Trophy or require a larger cover.

And when it comes to 4G, I read somewhere recently that only 2 cities in the nation have true 4G service. Verizon is about to add I think 15 or so more cities very soon, but chances are you might not live in one of those cities. The article went on to say that Verizon will have complete 4G service by the end of 2013....2013???? So if you're from a smaller state like me, there's a good chance you won't have 4G service for a very long time.

I've used the Sprint Arrive, the ATT Samsung Focus, and now the Verizon Trophy.  The first two I used for two weeks each.  The Focus is the best of the three, easily.  Personally, the Trophy has been the worst for me, although I do think I have a defective handset, as it keeps locking up, so Tuesday I'm going to call and try to get it replaced.  No one else seems to be having the problems I have, so I think it's limited to my handset.

0 Likes
hogs518

Yeah you must have a defective phone because I have not had the problem once. Sorry man hope you get that worked out I have had my fair share of problems with phones. I went through 8 Droids in the past year because Verizon is retarded.

0 Likes
finding_remo21

I was debating exactly that, but I ended up ordering the Trophy and have had it since Saturday. 

Although there really isn't anything special about it (i.e. Super AMOLED, 8mp camera, etc.) which is why I was hesitant in getting it, I've been quit satisfied so far. The three questionable aspects I was worried about when I ordered it were display, camera, and battery and so far none of them has been a major issue.

Display - I'm a huge fan of Samsung's displays so I was leary of HTC's LCD, and then I found out it wasn't even a SLCD so I was doubly worried. After getting the phone though, I'm pretty happy with it. The colors are quite good, although not as deep as SAMOLED of course. And it's pretty comparable to SLCD, the only noticable drawback are viewing angles which appear to be a bit less. And truthfully, I couldn't care less because the phone is always going to be in my hand where I'll always be looking at it straight on.

Camera - I wouldn't go so far as to say it's terible, but I definitely wouldn't say it's good. I think "good enough" is probably an accurate description.

Battery - I've put it through some rather irregular use since I got it, so my experince so for might not be completely accurate, but it's definitely not great. I saw someone mention an 1800 mAh extended battery (without the extra hump) so I'm definitely going to get that as long as there's nothing really wrong with it.

Overall, I have definitely been happy with it. What the Trophy lacks in some areas, it makes up for in build qulity and ergonomics. Between the curvaure/shape and the soft touch covering, it feels great, really solid, and just good overall. And of course WP7 runs flawlessly as designed. Unless you've got your heart set on a specific feature set that may or may not ever come out, I definitely recommend the Trophy

0 Likes