Re: Anyone else waiting for a better WP7 device on Verizon?
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

texanator wrote:

No.

I'm not going to be waiting on Verizon, anymore :smileyvery-happy:

I understand where you are coming from - myself, I'm stuck between a rock and a rock.

I only get good coverage with Sprint and Verizon.  Sprint tends to buy the bulky MS phones with keyboards and small screens - e.g. Arrive TP2...   They didn't get the the HD7s or Focus, no HD2, no Imagio.    Verizon on the other hand seems to have some sort of **bleep** contest going on with MS so I'm not too hopeful they will get a flagship WP7 phone.   I may end up getting the EVO 3D to hold me over for a couple of years until Sprint and Verizon stop boning their customers.  I'll wait a few more weeks for the 3D - hopefully before then we'll have some leaked info of a CDMA WP7 phone for mango coming out when Mango is released.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
ChicagoVZUser

I have an older HTC TouchPro 2 and I've been waiting for a better Win7 device.  i played with the HTC "Arrive" (which is a HTC Pro 7) at a Sprint store and it's nice.

I've been on VZW since the Ameritech days, but i really need decent Exchange support. Under Android, the Exchange support is lousy.  If my TouchPro dies, I guess I'll be on to Sprint.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

ChicagoVZUser wrote:

I have an older HTC TouchPro 2 and I've been waiting for a better Win7 device.  i played with the HTC "Arrive" (which is a HTC Pro 7) at a Sprint store and it's nice.

I've been on VZW since the Ameritech days, but i really need decent Exchange support. Under Android, the Exchange support is lousy.  If my TouchPro dies, I guess I'll be on to Sprint.

I, too, have preferred a phone with a slide-out keyboard.  I had a Sprint Mogul, a Verizon Touch Pro, and then a TP2.  I tried switching to Sprint when the Arrive came out, tired of waiting on Verizon, Unfortunately, the coverage was no good.  The phone was great.  Since then, I've also tried out the Samsung Focus, but alas, ATT's coverage wasn't what I needed, either.  Now I have a Trophy.

I tell you all that to let you know that I have very much loved my phones with slide-out keyboards.  But now that I've gotten used to a touch screen keyboard, I can honestly say that I don't miss the keyboard like I thought I would.  As responsive as the screens are now, you can type just as fast, if not faster, using a touch keyboard, and I'm amazed.  Microsoft's keyboard design is something special - and there are articles about the design of it.  Basically, the keyboard doesn't change appearance at all while typing, other than the key you press changes color and pops up the letter above your finger so you can see it.  But behind the scenes, as you type, it tries to predict what letter(s) may be next, and for those letters, the key's target area is increased.  So you may hit the edge of an adjacent key, and you'll still get the letter you want.  I've found that the best way to type is to use your thumbs, type as fast as you can, don't correct errors (unless it is a word that isn't in the dictionary), and let the phone do the correcting.  I've been amazed. 

For you, being in the Chicago area (I used to live up there), Sprint's coverage is just fine - unless you travel, then it depends.  So for you Sprint may be a good option.  Unfortunately, down here in GA, it's not.  But don't rule out a keyboardless phone without trying one out first.  You may also be amazed.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

boe wrote:

chudster94 wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't want a phone with a 4" screen, I prefer phones with a smaller footprint. I really hate carrying around something with me every day that's bulky, it'd rather have a smaller phone with a smaller screen. I think the Trophy's screen size is ideal, any bigger and I'd just as soon use a tablet or netbook.

Nothing wrong with wanting a small screen - you are in luck - the Trophy has a small screen.   Unfortunately for those of who want a flagship device running WP7 we got boned since Verizon only is offering the Trophy.

I don't think a 3.8" screen quite classifies as "small" but call it what you will.

Anyway, I got my Trophy yesterday as soon as my local VZW store opened and I love the size of the device. To me it's a perfect blend of usefulness and portability.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

chudster94 wrote:
I don't think a 3.8" screen quite classifies as "small" but call it what you will.

I suppose if you compare it to phones that came out a year or 2 ago it wouldn't seem small.  If you compare it to current flagship Android phones thought it would seem significantly smaller - by about 30%

0 Likes
DriveSlow
Enthusiast - Level 3

i like how it feels in my hands. big or small, or whatever form factor, if it doesn't feel comfortable to you then its not for you.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

DriveSlow wrote:

i like how it feels in my hands. big or small, or whatever form factor, if it doesn't feel comfortable to you then its not for you.

Exactly - while I love WP7, the Trophy screen is just too dang small for me.   I want to browse the web, read emails, read attachments - all of which are preferable to me on a larger 4.3" or even 4.5" screen although 4.5" is probably as large as I would want on a phone.   I'm sure any person here getting into their 40s realizes that small screens might have been OK when they were younger but larger screens are better for their current needs.   

Also I need to make hours of phone calls during the day and I use BT all the time so a larger battery would be very helpful as strangely enough, I use my smartphone as a phone.

0 Likes
Truth123

boe wrote:

Exactly - while I love WP7, the Trophy screen is just too dang small for me.   I want to browse the web, read emails, read attachments

You are aware that the Trophy has a larger screen than the iPhone4?

I've put my Trophy next to my friends Charge multiple times, the diffrence in screen size while browsing is pretty minor.

That being said, if you truly need the extra space do to vision challanges, i can understand your need for a larger screen, hopefully we will see more WP7 devices from Verizon soon! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Truth123 wrote:

You are aware that the Trophy has a larger screen than the iPhone4?

I've put my Trophy next to my friends Charge multiple times, the diffrence in screen size while browsing is pretty minor.

That being said, if you truly need the extra space do to vision challanges, i can understand your need for a larger screen, hopefully we will see more WP7 devices from Verizon soon! :smileyvery-happy:

Yes - otherwise I'd be relatively happy with an iphone but typing on the small iphone screen is not fun for me.   It is easier for me to type on my old WM phone using a stylus than the iphone and I don't want to carry a sausage just to type on an iphone.   Which is yet another reason why I want the larger screen besides viewing typing is easier.

Again - I'm not advocating that Verizon stop selling stuff like the Trophy - I'm just suggesting that WP7 sales would probably increase significantly if we also saw a higher end WP7 device than the Trophy.

0 Likes