Anyone else waiting for a better WP7 device on Verizon?
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really like WP7 a lot.   A few people I know have the Focus.   It works great with Exchange, office documents, pretty much all I care about besides being able to get signal when I call the Focus has.

The Trophy is an interesting phone but I really would prefer a higher end phone if I'm going to carry it for 2 years.   It certainly is slimmer than the Arrive and that is an important feature to me.   Rumors have it with the Mango release we'll see some new WP7 hardware.

I'd actually be willing to switch today if Verizon had gotten the Focus although it isn't quite as high end as I'd like to go.

• I want a 4.3" or 4.5" screen - super amoled plus like the Galaxy S II has would be sweet.

• I want 1650 mah battery like the Galaxy S II has or 1730 mah like the EVO 3D.

• I want 4G service like most recent smartphones have.

• I want BT 3.0 like most recent phones have.

I know WP7 runs well on the old snapdragon processor but I've been building computers for 20 years and you can never have a processor that is too fast (otherwise I wouldn't have to have replaced my first computer).    So a step up in the processor would be welcome although the size of the screen and the battery are my biggest concerns.

I just hope when the new hardware is announced, Verizon won't take so long to supply it to their customers like they did with the Trophy (which other than the worldphone part was released to the rest of the world about 9 months ago).

Labels (1)
Re: Anyone else waiting for a better WP7 device on Verizon?
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

boe wrote:

I really like WP7 a lot.   A few people I know have the Focus.   It works great with Exchange, office documents, pretty much all I care about besides being able to get signal when I call the Focus has.

The Trophy is an interesting phone but I really would prefer a higher end phone if I'm going to carry it for 2 years.   It certainly is slimmer than the Arrive and that is an important feature to me.   Rumors have it with the Mango release we'll see some new WP7 hardware.

I'd actually be willing to switch today if Verizon had gotten the Focus although it isn't quite as high end as I'd like to go.

• I want a 4.3" or 4.5" screen - super amoled plus like the Galaxy S II has would be sweet.

• I want 1650 mah battery like the Galaxy S II has or 1730 mah like the EVO 3D.

• I want 4G service like most recent smartphones have.

• I want BT 3.0 like most recent phones have.

I know WP7 runs well on the old snapdragon processor but I've been building computers for 20 years and you can never have a processor that is too fast (otherwise I wouldn't have to have replaced my first computer).    So a step up in the processor would be welcome although the size of the screen and the battery are my biggest concerns.

I just hope when the new hardware is announced, Verizon won't take so long to supply it to their customers like they did with the Trophy (which other than the worldphone part was released to the rest of the world about 9 months ago).

1. New hardware with Mango is not a rumor.  It was part of the press conference yesterday.  In fact, they are adding 3 new hardware manufacturers (Acer, Fujitsu, and a Chinese company).  Also, Nokia, who doesn't yet have a WP7 device on the market is working feverishly to launch this year, and they have stated their phones will have Mango.

2. God only knows how long it will be until Verizon launches another WP7 device.  However, if they learned their lesson from today's launch, it is that WP7 is wanted.

3. 4G you won't see until Mango, as it is not supported in NoDo.  Also, unless you live in a 4G area, a 4G phone will do nothing but run the battery dead faster.  Yes, 4G is good for that.  Personally, I have been impressed with the operation of the Focus on 3G, even though I live in a fringe area.  I can definitely tell the difference between 3G and Edge, though.  As far as the processor, one of the reasons this phone is so fast is that Microsoft has tight control over the hardware that it goes onto, so it is optimized for that hardware. 

Nine months ago, Windows Phone 7 was still just being talked about.  It launched 7 months ago (on my birthday).  And the holdup from October until February was that there was no CDMA support in Windows Phone 7.  I'll give Verizon a pass for up to March, when Sprint launched the first CDMA WP7 device in the world, on the 23rd.  But between the end of March and now, that two months is all Verizon's fault.  Yes, most of the phone is 7 months old, however, the CDMA support was up to Microsoft.  That doesn't make us any less aggravated, but we should be mindful of just what fault lies where.

Personally, I hope some Nokia models come to Big Red.  Nokia has stated that one of their models next year will be the most powerful phone at the time it is launched.  That's what I'm talking about.  But if it doesn't, I have been impressed with the hardware in the five HTC phones I have owned over the years.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

1. New hardware with Mango is not a rumor.  It was part of the press conference yesterday.  In fact, they are adding 3 new hardware manufacturers (Acer, Fujitsu, and a Chinese company).  Also, Nokia, who doesn't yet have a WP7 device on the market is working feverishly to launch this year, and they have stated their phones will have Mango.

2. God only knows how long it will be until Verizon launches another WP7 device.  However, if they learned their lesson from today's launch, it is that WP7 is wanted.

3. 4G you won't see until Mango, as it is not supported in NoDo.  Also, unless you live in a 4G area, a 4G phone will do nothing but run the battery dead faster.  Yes, 4G is good for that.  Personally, I have been impressed with the operation of the Focus on 3G, even though I live in a fringe area.  I can definitely tell the difference between 3G and Edge, though.  As far as the processor, one of the reasons this phone is so fast is that Microsoft has tight control over the hardware that it goes onto, so it is optimized for that hardware. 

Nine months ago, Windows Phone 7 was still just being talked about.  It launched 7 months ago (on my birthday).  And the holdup from October until February was that there was no CDMA support in Windows Phone 7.  I'll give Verizon a pass for up to March, when Sprint launched the first CDMA WP7 device in the world, on the 23rd.  But between the end of March and now, that two months is all Verizon's fault.  Yes, most of the phone is 7 months old, however, the CDMA support was up to Microsoft.  That doesn't make us any less aggravated, but we should be mindful of just what fault lies where.

Personally, I hope some Nokia models come to Big Red.  Nokia has stated that one of their models next year will be the most powerful phone at the time it is launched.  That's what I'm talking about.  But if it doesn't, I have been impressed with the hardware in the five HTC phones I have owned over the years.

1.  I don't think there were any guarantees that the hardware comes as Mango is released - I think it is just at this point guaranteed after Mango which in anticipation time - could mean a long wait.

2. I too sincerely hope Verizon does learn a lesson about WP7 popularity.   Even though they picked mediocre hardware there are many claims that Verizon was told they were out of them although others are claiming Verizon for whatever reason is just trying to talk people out of buying WP7 phones.

3.  The 4G wait makes no sense to me.   They release hardware before the drivers are available which I have seen.  They certainly released WP7 before copy and paste was available.  They could just release WP7 phones with 4G on board but not functional until Mango is available.   As for 4G draining your battery - certainly a well established fact - however you might also want to point out you can turn it off when you don't need it and use 3G.

4.You are correct about 7 months.   However on the other hand, Verizon had more time to pick phones than the GSM providers and certainly could have picked better hardware since they had a wider selection than the initial round with GSM providers.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Ok - I didn't mean that there would necessarily be new hardware on the day Mango is released.  Just that there has already been commitment that there will be new hardware based on Mango.  Yes, you are right, it could (God help us) be months.  But I doubt it.  I would be surprised if there weren't new devices (though not on Big Red) within weeks, if they are not released that day.

Yes, the VZW employees trying to turn people away from WP7 is quite aggravating. 

I didn't say that hardware couldn't support 4g before mango.  For all I know, some of it might.  That's a spec I have not looked at.  But until the software supports it, it won't work even if it is there.  Which means Mango.

And yes, you're right, Verizon could have picked better hardware.  I'm not sure whether time had anything to do with it, or what the relationship is between what manufacturers make and what Verizon asks for, but would think they could have done better.  I do know, though, that they picked this phone in December if not before that, as they advertised it in December to MS employees.  That doesn't cut them any slack for not putting up additional phones, however.

0 Likes
protonhead

If 4G were supported on the Trophy when Mango launches that would be GREAT, but there isn't any reason for Verizon to allow it to be turned on, given their past performance. They would rather sell a new phone (not nice).

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

hopmedic wrote:

Yes, the VZW employees trying to turn people away from WP7 is quite aggravating. 

I sure hope that changes soon.  I'd hate to be in a contract with Verizon and think Verizon is purposely not getting good WP7 hardware or that Verizon and MS will get into a **bleep** contest and Verizon will stop carrying MS phones.

0 Likes
veprk

I wouldn't expect any new WP7 devices on Verizon for quite a while.  Given Verizon's lack of enthusiasm for WP7 and the uncertainty of how well it is going to be able to compete against Android and the iPhone they are going to watch how things unfold before they decide to invest much more into WP7.  That being said, I'm sure that new devices will come, but until WP7 becomes a major player in the market it just won't get priority, so it could be a long time.

The only thing that we can take from the upcoming Mango update is that the likelihood of seeing any new devices for GSM or CDMA prior to Mango is very small, the only exception I'm aware of is the HD7s.

I was also worried about the screen size.  I am coming from a droid, and I like the hardware keyboard, but the feedback I have heard and read about the WP7 keyboard has motivated me to forego those concerns, it is supposed to be in a class of its own.

Aside from that I agree that you can never have enough processing power, but if the current device doesn't make you wait on the processor then it's not a huge issue.  I don't really use bluetooth, so I didn't even consider that.

I finally decided to go ahead and get the Trophy knowing that I might pay full retail to get a newer device if it was compelling enough.

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

veprk wrote:

I finally decided to go ahead and get the Trophy knowing that I might pay full retail to get a newer device if it was compelling enough.

Congrats on getting a Trophy.   I read a lot of posts by people being told they were sold out - lucky for you that you didn't encounter that.

0 Likes
veprk

Thanks, having to get up for work at 5:30 in the morning paid off for once!

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are rumors of a more Galaxy like device for WP7 coming with mango.   Hopefully Verizon won't be playing games with MS on the next hardware batch.   I'd really like a really good WP7 phone on Verizon.

0 Likes