Re: Anyone else waiting for a better WP7 device on Verizon?
haysouse

I'm a vet as well, plenty of jokes to go around about the DOD but corporations and other large bureaucracies are all similar.

Just giving some credit where credit is due; it's a significant endorsement and one that'll be slow to change.

It might even pop up on your ship control panels... lol.

It wasn't long ago that WinCE came on every mobile device and even my first couple of car GPS's.  One step forward, two steps back.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

/tinfoil hat on

Honestly I am not surprised at all.  Not all Android devices have CIQ and it's installed from factory doesn't make it a security flaw.  That's straight up spreading FUD.  Without people knowing what it does and throwing names out there.  The CIQ deal has already been debunked.  Also like to add CIQ isn't the only cat in town to make this type of software.  Chances are if they are not using CIQ they could be using something different.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if all devices has some type of software like CIQ.  Since the Patriot Act is still in effect which is why I am not surprised.

/tinfoil hat off

0 Likes
haysouse

Windows Phone 7 Bug: Single Text Message Can Wreck The Phone

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/266296/20111213/windows-phone-7-bug-single-text-message.htm

^ for full disclosure.

In the DOD case, they can have someone work on Android, for the most part, while a WP7 user is completely dependent on MS.

Not disclosing the use of CIQ was abhorable.  It can be useful, just like browser/app performance stats, but now people wonder what else is hidden.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
I am just say MS may have their own and Apple has developed their own as of 5.0 when you activate one there is an opt out though you know they still probably collect the data for governmental use ie law enforcement. Wouldn't surprise me if all manufacturers do it.
0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

/tinfoil hat on

Honestly I am not surprised at all.  Not all Android devices have CIQ and it's installed from factory doesn't make it a security flaw.  That's straight up spreading FUD.  Without people knowing what it does and throwing names out there.  The CIQ deal has already been debunked.  Also like to add CIQ isn't the only cat in town to make this type of software.  Chances are if they are not using CIQ they could be using something different.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if all devices has some type of software like CIQ.  Since the Patriot Act is still in effect which is why I am not surprised.

/tinfoil hat off

CIQ is but ONE of the pins poking holes in the security of Android devices.  The platform is inherently insecure, as proven time and time again.

The Windows text message issue is a bug that surely Microsoft will remedy.  Android is a platform built on insecurity.  My take: Windows Phone or iPhone.  Those are the choices.

0 Likes
Geebox
Contributor - Level 3

While VZW is still waiting on getting some good WP7 phones, the leaked info I got awhile back is starting to come out about Windows 8 & WP8.

http://www.slashgear.com/win-8-and-windows-phone-8-code-combine-rumored-13201855/

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

FYI - another verizon phone # ported to at&t upgrading from dumbphone to WP7 Mango upon contract end yesterday

10 minute phone call to at&t to port number (previously had purchased service).

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

chinch wrote:

FYI - another verizon phone # ported to at&t upgrading from dumbphone to WP7 Mango upon contract end yesterday

10 minute phone call to at&t to port number (previously had purchased service).

Might be following the same plan next month if Nokia/VZW doesn't announce a WP7 phone during CES 2012  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

hopmedic wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

/tinfoil hat on

/tinfoil hat off

CIQ is but ONE of the pins poking holes in the security of Android devices.  The platform is inherently insecure, as proven time and time again.

The Windows text message issue is a bug that surely Microsoft will remedy.  Android is a platform built on insecurity.  My take: Windows Phone or iPhone.  Those are the choices.

Much like the woes that large number of devices out there will end up getting torn apart and such for things to come out?  Like Windows?  Just because they find all these things may not because of inherently insecure...  Look at windows and the bad rap it gets for a long time.  The more users the more stuff gets looked into.

If the roles were reversed and WinMo7 was the top dog I'd bet there'd be as much stuff out there as does Android.

0 Likes
louise3000

Is there a Windows phone presently available somewhere that could be activated on my existing Verizon Droid Charge contract?

I can image that it could be worth purchasing the WP phone rather than charging batteries every few hours.

And then.....I could finally just sync Outlook without turning handsprings.

Louise

0 Likes