Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
App questions
chudster94
Member

So I don't have my Trophy yet but I plan to pick one up when my local VZW store opens on Thursday morning. I have a few app questions for anyone willing to share some feedback.

 

Sports scores - I know the ESPN app is free and supposed to be very good. Has anyone tried any others on WP7?

 

Stock quotes - from what I understand, HTC includes a stock tracking app with the Trophy, has anyone used it?

 

Movie showtimes - I plan to install the IMDB app because I love being able to quickly look up movie stuff. I know IMDB's web site lets you look up showtimes at local theaters, does the app for WP7 also have the same functionality? If so, is it as good as Fandango?

 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: App questions
Tripp06
Member

+1

0 Likes
Re: App questions
M-Kohlman
Novice

Both the ESPN app and the HTC Stock are decent.  For Stocks Market Watch is free and very highly rated (deservedly so).  For Movies I'd seriously give Movies by Flixster a look over as well.

 

- Michael

0 Likes
Re: App questions
chudster94
Member

M-Kohlman wrote:

Both the ESPN app and the HTC Stock are decent.  For Stocks Market Watch is free and very highly rated (deservedly so).  For Movies I'd seriously give Movies by Flixster a look over as well.

 

- Michael


I didn't know that Market Watch had a free app, I'll definitely take a look at that one. Thanks for the feedback!

0 Likes
Re: App questions
chinch
Novice

Search button pulls up local movie times (for example hit search, type in movie name and you'll get results). That said Fandango is great and gives favorite theatres, etc. Highly recommended and free. IMDB is free also and a great reference.

 

The mobile browser is so good i recommend just using mobile websites to check scores. Bookmark your favorite for each sport. You can pin to start or pin a game to start. There is a great hockey app wtih toast notifications "Hockey Tracker" created by an MS employee but none similar (yet) for MLB or NFL. Especially for MLB this would be great. Try Score Mobile and SportsScores as well depending on what you want.

 

I don't do stock quote apps, sorry can't help there


chudster94 wrote:

So I don't have my Trophy yet but I plan to pick one up when my local VZW store opens on Thursday morning. I have a few app questions for anyone willing to share some feedback.

 

Sports scores - I know the ESPN app is free and supposed to be very good. Has anyone tried any others on WP7?

 

Stock quotes - from what I understand, HTC includes a stock tracking app with the Trophy, has anyone used it?

 

Movie showtimes - I plan to install the IMDB app because I love being able to quickly look up movie stuff. I know IMDB's web site lets you look up showtimes at local theaters, does the app for WP7 also have the same functionality? If so, is it as good as Fandango?

 


 

0 Likes
Re: App questions
chudster94
Member

chinch wrote:

Search button pulls up local movie times (for example hit search, type in movie name and you'll get results). That said Fandango is great and gives favorite theatres, etc. Highly recommended and free. IMDB is free also and a great reference.

 

The mobile browser is so good i recommend just using mobile websites to check scores. Bookmark your favorite for each sport. You can pin to start or pin a game to start. There is a great hockey app wtih toast notifications "Hockey Tracker" created by an MS employee but none similar (yet) for MLB or NFL. Especially for MLB this would be great. Try Score Mobile and SportsScores as well depending on what you want.

 

I don't do stock quote apps, sorry can't help there

 


Thanks chinch!

 

The hockey app sounds cool, I'll definitely check that one out (especially being a huge Rangers fan).

 

Regarding the browser....I was thinking that custom apps would have better performance than IE. I'm a little leery of IE8, I know it doesn't have the snappiest rendering engine out there. Now IE9 is a different story but of course we'll have to wait for Mango to get it. I'm coming from a Samsung Omnia running Opera which supposedly is faster than IE versions currently available but I hate the broswer performance on this phone.

 

I guess I'll have to see tomorrow what the browsing experience is like.

0 Likes
Re: App questions
chinch
Novice

 


chudster94 wrote:

Thanks chinch!

 

The hockey app sounds cool, I'll definitely check that one out (especially being a huge Rangers fan).

 

Regarding the browser....I was thinking that custom apps would have better performance than IE. I'm a little leery of IE8, I know it doesn't have the snappiest rendering engine out there. Now IE9 is a different story but of course we'll have to wait for Mango to get it. I'm coming from a Samsung Omnia running Opera which supposedly is faster than IE versions currently available but I hate the broswer performance on this phone.

 

I guess I'll have to see tomorrow what the browsing experience is like.


Sure thing. Opera (mini or mobal) is brutal compared to IE on WP7. Don't get me wrong, i'm excited for IE9 and html5 with hardware acceleration but the Windows Phone 7 browser is fantastic today.

 

For sports, for example today mlb.com just update it's mobile site/page which is great and loads instantly. The only benefit of an "app" would be the push notifications (toast notifications are preferred such as Hockey Tracker to not interrupt what you're doing on the phone). Those will come in apps over time.

0 Likes
Re: App questions
hopmedic
Novice

I would have to agree.  There is nothing lacking with the current IE browser on WP7.  I can't seem to find any real quick right now, but I've seen videos comparing iphone, android, and wp7 (besides the now easy to find ie9 comparison), and the current browser is right there with them.  Better at some sites, just a shade behind on some sites.  I'd call it a pretty even race at this point, but come Mango, look out!

0 Likes
Re: App questions
chudster94
Member

After using the Trophy for almost two weeks I do find the IE browser faster than Opera was on my old Omnia but I have to say the one area that I'm hoping will impove on IE9 is javascript support. I find that most sites with javascript are still rather slow to load. I think with IE9's new engine this will improve as it seems to have on the desktop version.

0 Likes