Are Windows Phones becoming obsolete?
whyme776
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been a loyal Windows Phone user since I first bought the HTC XV6700, several years ago. I like the setup on the Windows phones that I have had since. These phones have become my Pocket Personal Computer. I love the Outlook synchronization and the Office capabilites. Recently, though, I have become extremely disappointed with the Windows Phones available at Verizon. Every few months another one drops off the market and is not replaced by something equivalent or better. I am also tired of using MS Office on my desktop and have recently started playing with Open Office.

My questons are these: Are Windows Phones actually necessary to view and edit Office documents? It seems that all carriers are phasing out Windows Phones, but mostly Verizon. The Android App store has some pretty nfity apps for viewing Excel and Word. It also has apps for synchronizing Outlook email into the Droid calendar app. Is there anyone out there who used to use Windows Phones and switched to Droid? If so, were you satisfied and do office programs work sufficiently?

Steve

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Are Windows Phones becoming obsolete?
Jsybird2532
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, they aren't obsolete, Verizon (and sprint as well) just ignores Windows Phone 7 lame reasons.  Yes DROID works fine for what you want but it is certainly not the best and most elegant solution.

If you want a newer windows phone now (something besides the trophy) I'd recommend moving to t-mobile or at&t they currently have much better options here in the USA.  Either that or wait for the Windows Phone 8 devices to ship out later this year.

0 Likes
whyme776
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been with Verizon for many years now and I have noticed that they are slow in getting the "cool" phones. About 95% of the people I call and text are on Verizon so it is very convinient for me to keep them. I do like their customer service, too. Since I am not looking for a phone, right now, I will probably just keep Verizon and keep looking at the market. Thanks for the information though. I have heard bad things about Droids, from a few people. I refuse to get an iphone, though. I'll probably keep my windows phone and wait for the next one to hit the market.

jstfinkaboutit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Windows Phones aren't becoming obsolete, but the current generation (almost) is. Hold off on a new phone until later in the year, Verizon's CFO made a statement that new phones will be available before the holidays, and, for reference, here's the article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-verizon-microsoft-idUSBRE83I1B820120420

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That doesn't include the fact any Windows 7 device will not get Windows 8.  They will get windows 7.8 and pray devs support both OS's or your device becomes obsolete quickly.

0 Likes