Are there any new windows phones in the works for 2017?
JOSELL44

Seriously... I think my One M8 is starting to die and I don't want the 735. I refuse to use Android which leaves me with an iPhone to choose from... I don't really want that either.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Are there any new windows phones in the works for 2017?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Complain to Microsoft for not making any CDMA capable phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Windows Mobile is pretty much dead. Such low demand has given OEMs little reason to release Windows phones.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

If you feel very strongly about it, there are Windows Mobile devices that run on other carriers. The best one out there is the HP Elite X3. The Alcatel IDOL 4S seems like a close second, on paper at least. Other than that the Acer Liquid Jade Primo and the Lumia 950 / 950XL are nice. They're all still available... but not on Verizon.

Also, it's not as simple as "this radio has CDMA so it will run on Verizon now lulz". If Verizon doesn't want a phone on their network, good luck forcing them to allow your device. I do not care what the FCC rules say at a high level. They have numerous methods of recourse even with regards to those rules. There's a reason they haven't released a device with CDMA and the right LTE bands - no device to date has run on Verizon prior to receiving their blessing. The only way you're likely to see a high end Windows 10 Mobile device on Verizon again is if MS kisses VZW's posterior while simultaneous releasing a Surface HoloLens Ultra phone or something.

Maybe MS should just start buying shares of all the major carriers.

0 Likes
TIMNEW93
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Lumia 735 and it's a good phone.  You can't beat it for the price -- I tried a comparable Android and sent it back.

That said, if Verizon doesn't allow any more Windows phones next time I come up for renewal we are leaving Verizon.  What is so disgusting to me is that Windows is probably the best phone operating system, but it was boycotted into oblivion by Google and Verizon.  I wish these big tech companies would go back to putting the customers first and quit worrying about their little turf wars.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem isn't that Verizon isn't allowing new Windows phones. The problem is that the manufacturers are not making phones compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Windows and Blackberry can walk off into the sunset together.  Neither is going to the expense to get a CDMA version FCC approval. 

Even ATT has no plans to take on a flagship version of either OS because they dont sell.  The BB Priv was a mess from the start. 

The HP Elite x3 can be purchased from MS and is GSM only.  The reviews by those running on ATT are phenomenal.  It's the intimate windows phone and was marketed to the business user. 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

If you have an already activated Verizon SIM that fits, you may be able to pop it in and have the device work.  However, you may have a difficult time finding a device with the right bands.

0 Likes
TIMNEW93
Enthusiast - Level 3

...and on cue, Verizon drops the one Windows phone it still had.  Now there are NO Windows phones for Verizon customers at all.

By the way, from my understanding both CDMA and GSM are upgrading to the new 4G LTE technology, so Verizon COULD allow Windows phones on its network--all it has to do is allow a band that Windows phones use.

I do blame Verizon for this debacle.  People need a choice other than Google (which has a business model of helping themselves to their customers' information) and Apple (which is and always will be a niche product).  If Verizon cared about their customers they would give them as many options as possible.  Instead, it appears Verizon is in bed with Google--Verizon has not allowed a new Windows phone on its network since 2014 and now there are none available at all.  That's not good because Google now has a stranglehold on the availability of information, and it's only getting worse. 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It's not a matter of allowing the bands on their network, each carrier (of the big four) owns certain bands and the device manufacturer needs to include connectivity to those bands. 

If you think Microsoft isn't selling your information as much as Google and Apple do, then you've got blinders on... Of the worst kind.  The difference with Google is that they've always been up front about what they're doing with your information, along with providing something for free. 

You're right that they SHOULD be providing as many choices as possible, but Verizon is also a business trying to make money (and that's not an​ inherently bad thing, just like it's not an inherently bad thing for a customer to try to save as much as possible) and the fact of the matter is, Windows phones just weren't selling, especially for Verizon.