Re: Are there any new windows phones in the works for 2017?
mama23dogs
Legend

It's a survival attempt.  The only way BB could survive another year was to meld with android.  Unfortunately the device (Priv) is garbage. 

The Only way windows is going to stay afloat is being more flexible.  Also a good way for Samsung to steal frustrated windows users.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there was a upper mid to high end Windows phone available for us Verizon Wireless customers, I'd give it a try.

I've had Android phones for a while now  (HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Galaxy S4 and now Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Some people swear by Windows phones while others swear at them.

I know about the "app gap". For me it isn't that big of a problem. None of my financial institutions have Windows apps, so, I access their websites when I'm using either of my Surface devices.

0 Likes
NEIBER48

I just checked the tech specs for the Verizon Lumia 735 on the Microsoft Store site, and they don't list ANY CDMA bands, just the GSM, WCDMA and LTE bands 20, 3 and 7. The unlocked Lumia 950 has the same LTE bands plus others. Since the 950 is a dual SIM phone, is it conceivable that you could activate an AT&T number and add the Verizon SIM and work on both systems?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Network information about the Verizon Lumia 735 is incorrect on Microsoft's store website. The specs on Verizon Wireless's website are correct.

The Lumia 550, 650, 950 and 950XL were never submitted for CDMA certification, thus, they can't be used on Verizon Wireless, Sprint and US Cellular. It has been reported that these models, with modification, do support CDMA bands, but, the capability has been disabled in the firmware.

The same holds true for the HP Elite X3 and the Alcatel Windows phone. Companies are simply staying away from CDMA carriers...electing to wait until the next generation networks are in service.

0 Likes
TIMNEW93
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now with the Creators Update being released, there won't be any Verizon phones that can run current Microsoft OS builds.  ....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Alexvrb wrote:

If you feel very strongly about it, there are Windows Mobile devices that run on other carriers. The best one out there is the HP Elite X3. The Alcatel IDOL 4S seems like a close second, on paper at least. Other than that the Acer Liquid Jade Primo and the Lumia 950 / 950XL are nice. They're all still available... but not on Verizon.

Also, it's not as simple as "this radio has CDMA so it will run on Verizon now lulz". If Verizon doesn't want a phone on their network, good luck forcing them to allow your device. I do not care what the FCC rules say at a high level. They have numerous methods of recourse even with regards to those rules. There's a reason they haven't released a device with CDMA and the right LTE bands - no device to date has run on Verizon prior to receiving their blessing. The only way you're likely to see a high end Windows 10 Mobile device on Verizon again is if MS kisses VZW's posterior while simultaneous releasing a Surface HoloLens Ultra phone or something.

Maybe MS should just start buying shares of all the major carriers.

The FCC forces Verizon to allow any of the phones that work on their network work.  It's been discussed over and over.  Block C rules Verizon has to hands the keys to manufacturers if they want to make it work, and they have to open source said standards.  YES it's that simple.   Microsoft chose not to pay Qualcomm licensing for CDMA, and also chose not to add band 13 to their Lumina 950/XL.  Verizon has to show with proof why a device shouldn't be on their network to the FCC if they don't want it on their network.  Show me where Microsoft made it work and show me where Verizon told the FCC why it didn't.  FYI this is in the block C rules Smiley Happy

Hope to see a counter argument that we haven't been heard before or something tangible and not speculation.