At this point HTC 8x or Samsung Ativ S
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Well guys at this point its very clear there is no Lumia 920 or any variation coming to Verizon. If there is a 822 or whatever, without super sensitivity screen, Pure View HD+ and Pure View camera it won't really be anything worth trying to get. I am at a point where I will never get IOS and I am not in the mood for getting another Android, so I will stay with WP.  Now there is always that option of switching carriers to get the 920, but might seem too much of a hassle.

Looking at the specifications of Ativ S, it looks like a really good phone. One thing about it, from what I saw in gsmarena, it doesn't seem to have 4G LTE. Although it has a microSD card and 32GB and a bigger battery.

The 8x has a beautiful design with the windows themed colors. It has been recently revealed that 8x does come with 4G LTE. HIgher ppi pixel density. However it has a smaller battery, which shouldn't be too much of  a problem, but it also only has a 16GB memory with no microSD slot. Which is a big problem because even my first Motorola Droid had a microSD slot and 16gb. Seems like a 4 year old phone is still on par with a brand new phone when nowadays 32GB is just the minimum for high end phones.

Here is side by side comparison from gsmarena

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4960&idPhone2=4975

Which one are you guys thinking of getting?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: At this point HTC 8x or Samsung Ativ S
primortal
Master - Level 1

Niether, for me its a high end Lumia or nothting.

_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Hopmedic

I know you said earlier you have the HTC Trophy and I know you will be reading this, I was wondering what is your experience with the HTC WP Maps?. I Know back in around April they tried to upgrade and copy Nokia maps with offline maps and everything, but I don't know that turned out to be

Thanks

0 Likes
OutlawFirebird1
Enthusiast - Level 3

ill be getting the htc 8x, as far as i know that really is the only one we really know is comming to verizon. Im upgrading form a droid 2 to it, not to worry about memory space. with no sd card.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Yankees, Just saw this - sorry.  As far as I know there are no "HTC" WP maps.  Bing Maps comes on all Windows Phones, but I believe Nokia phones (which I have not played with) have their own maps in it's place - I could be wrong on that, though.  If I'm understanding correctly, Nokia Drive is going to be on all of the WP8 devices, not just the Nokia phones, again, I could be wrong on that.  Going from memory, but I think I've read that.  I have heard nothing but good things about the Nokia Drive app.

As for Bing Maps, I like them for what I've used them for.  I take a look every day before I leave my driveway for work to see the traffic, as they get color codes on the major roads.  I don't use the GPS for driving, as I have a Garmin on the dash already, and have had one sitting there since around 2005 or so.  Jill is her name (if you go into the settings, the voices have names, and the default one is Jill, so that's what my wife and I call her).  When Jill screws up, we say Jill's on crack. 

I have a few times used the Bing to drive, when I knew the name of a place, and wanted to speak it instead of taking the time to stop, type into Jill, and find it that way.  The problem is that when you reach a point to turn, you have to tap the screen to get the next direction.  That has something to do with a patent having to do with arriving at a navigation point signaling the next verbal direction or something like that, so Microsoft opted to just have you tap screen once you arrive at the nav point, and then it will read you the next one.  Tap the screen as many times as you want, it will update and continually tell you the distance to the next nave point until you get there, then the next tap will tell you the following nav point.  It works fine, you just have to know that it's not going to automatically tell you after you make the turn, where the next turn is until you tap the screen.  Nokia Drive does - works just like the GPS in your car, from what I hear, and from what I recall, that's what'll be in every WP8 device, and yes, if I'm correct about that, then yes, you'll be able to download an entire nation's maps to your phone for offline use.  As far as I know, Yes, there were pirated copies of Drive but I don't think it was released for use to other OEMs' phones on WP7 deviecs, but will be on WP8.  WP 7.8?  I don't know.  Haven't heard anything on that.

Does that answer your question as much as possible?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Don't give up on Nokia yet.  There is still a possibility for a high end Nokia for us yet.... 

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokias-carrier-exclusives-verizons-lumia-822

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Thank You bud

0 Likes
OutlawFirebird1
Enthusiast - Level 3

For now im getting the htc when it launches, unless there is hard evedince that a verizon bound lumia equal to the 920 is comming by the time  the htc launches. most of the stuff surronding the verizon lumia is still just rumors. 

0 Likes
EmilyLuke

Looks like on Samsung's site, http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_s.html, the specs say the ATIV S does support 4G.  After looking at my friend's iPhone 5 next to a Samsung Galaxy S3, I must say I am really impressed with Samsung's product, so I will definitely be considering switching from my iPhone 4 to this new device.

Does anyone know the date the Samsung device will be available through Verizon?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Nobody knows the IF yet.

0 Likes