Backup assistant notification disables bluetooth and voice dial on a Convoy 2
tlongfellow
Enthusiast - Level 2

A phone software update was recently forced onto my Convoy 2 (SCH-U660) basic phone.

Since then, there is an almost daily notification displayed on the phone from Backup Assistant.  

I can not actually read the entire message because it clears itself when the phone is opened..   Trying to speed read it, it looks like an advertisement on how great Backup Assistant is.

The problem is that while this unreadable message is being displayed, all attempts to dial using bluetooth devices fail.     Nothing works until I get out the phone and open it.   The notification message then clears itself and the phone returns to service.

I have tried going through the setup operations of Backup Assistant AND done manual resyncs of my contract information.   The mystery notification still displays.

It is annoying to have an unreliable phone that turns into a brick without notice.

Any ideas??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup assistant notification disables bluetooth and voice dial on a Convoy 2
tlongfellow
Enthusiast - Level 2

As is the norm with Verizon, I have managed to stumble across my own solution.  I was never able to get the 'follow' options to work and actually communicate with a live human being (even by e-mail).

The trick was to catch this 'Backup Assistant' message during a power up of the phone.   This left the message on the screen and allowed interaction.   By repeating the customization steps that you can perform elsewhere in the menu structure, this unsolicited prompt to customize Backup Assistant goes away.

Customizing backup assistant using ANY other method does not prevent this periodic unsolicited  message from turning your phone into a brick that will not respond to Bluetooth dialers or will not issue your preset alarm notifications.

Beware basic phone users.  The software folks are putting out software that assumes the constant availability of a smartphone touch screen and does not support basic flip phones very well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Backup assistant notification disables bluetooth and voice dial on a Convoy 2
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greetings tlongfellow! Your description of how Backup Assistant is affecting your device is very troubling. I've looked into this but haven't found any other Convoy 2 owners have reported it, though I do see that a software update was pushed to the model last month. I think it best that we review this as a device issue specificly on your handset. Please use this link

https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1613 to get instructions on how to follow my handle so that you can send me a personal message with your contact number. Thanks!

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
tlongfellow
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have discussed this with a coworker who also owns a Convoy 2.

He has a similar problem.  An alert or dialog from Backup Assistant appears very early in the morning.  Until he responds, his preset alarm does not go off.

His problem also started after he got the notification of a new software update being downloaded to the phone.

---

I am still trying to view the message that blinks off when the phone is opened.

I have disbled the 'Flip Open' answer option.   Maybe this will let me see the message and get more detail.

0 Likes
tlongfellow
Enthusiast - Level 2

As is the norm with Verizon, I have managed to stumble across my own solution.  I was never able to get the 'follow' options to work and actually communicate with a live human being (even by e-mail).

The trick was to catch this 'Backup Assistant' message during a power up of the phone.   This left the message on the screen and allowed interaction.   By repeating the customization steps that you can perform elsewhere in the menu structure, this unsolicited prompt to customize Backup Assistant goes away.

Customizing backup assistant using ANY other method does not prevent this periodic unsolicited  message from turning your phone into a brick that will not respond to Bluetooth dialers or will not issue your preset alarm notifications.

Beware basic phone users.  The software folks are putting out software that assumes the constant availability of a smartphone touch screen and does not support basic flip phones very well.

0 Likes