Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Basic Phones are terrible quality
bobos
Enthusiast

     You know, I understand Verizon and phone companies need to be able to make money off of this, but seriously... I cannot afford an extra $30 a month for a data plan. I've had 4 basic phones in less than 4 years. I'm not rough with them, in fact, I take pretty good care of them. My first was a flip, the screens failed on them, no more than 2 days after the warranty was up. My second phone was a flip, put a mic into the mic port, and when I was done, the phone didn't go back to normal speaker on phone (somehow the internal contacts broke). My third one, was a flip, screens stopped working (fortunately it was given to me for free). My third was a Kin TwoM. That was a fairly good phone, software-wise. It's a basic smartphone, without the data plan. The screen stopped working due to the slider. Took it into Verizon, was about 2 weeks after the warranty was up. Fortunately, I had Insurance... Oh wait. No... Apparently, there is a $4.99/ Mo and a $5.99/ Mo insurance policy. I was not informed of the $5.99/ Mo policy, which covers everything including mechanical failure. $4.99/ Mo was only for theft/lost/human damage (Which I figured that would cover it...) 2 weeks later, I go back in to get it fixed. Got charged $20 for replacement of screen ribbon. Worked for almost 2 weeks and started going out again.

I begin looking through Verizon's oh so Sh**y basic phones, since I can't afford the extra charges. And then it hit me. I could go to AT&T and get a much higher quality phone. I decided not to because Verizon's coverage around here is second to none, phenomenal coverage, I'll give Verizon that. AT&T's coverage is still pretty nice though. I also realized that the smart phones are second to none. Not to mention it would be so incredibly easy for a company such as Motorola or Samsung, etc. To create at least 1 higher quality basic phone. All they'd have to do is take one of their smart phones, scrap the 4G capabilities. Google could make some tweaks to the android firmware, editing everything that used data, and rerouting them through the use of WIFI only. Get rid of GPS because it wouldn't work... And Voila, you have a glass/aluminum bodied phone, with higher quality battery, and an amazing ROM for a non-data-using smart phone. I'm sure a lot would be sold. I wouldn't care if I could only buy it at full market value, $500 or so upfront is better than still having to pay like $200 with a plan + at least $30 data plan per month.

Verizon, will you ever do this?!

No probably not, because this is obviously all about corporate greed. "If they want the smart phone bad enough, they'll pay all the extra fees." kinda thing. And this is total Bull****. I really hope people agree with me on this topic.

After my contract is up, I'm switching to AT&T.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
Tidbits
Legend

Just go to AT&T.  If you don't like the selection of phone Verizon has then that's your best option.

Greed is always on the eyes of the beholder.  Verizon has spend 19B a year since 2003 to roll out their LTE network.  They have to figure out how to make that money back in short time.  It's business, and if I didn't like Verizon's business then I would have left a LONG time ago.

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
budone
Legend

bobos wrote:

     Google could make some tweaks to the android firmware, editing everything that used data, and rerouting them through the use of WIFI only. Get rid of GPS because it wouldn't work... And Voila, you have a glass/aluminum bodied phone, with higher quality battery, and an amazing ROM for a non-data-using smart phone.

After my contract is up, I'm switching to AT&T.

Ahhhhhhhhh but it would use data, via WiFi. VZW and the others have invested billions to get smartphones developed. To recoup the costs, they require data addons. You want a Cadillac for the price of a Pinto. The way you state it, you could still get all the apps to do what you say Google should remove.

Now, if they want to take a smartphone and dumb it down, (take the Wifi and 3G and 4G radio out) they could...... and they have...... it is called a basic phone.

Enjoy ATT,

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
lewisr13
Champion

budone wrote:

Enjoy ATT,

Isn't that an oxymoron?

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
budone
Legend

lewisr13 wrote:

budone wrote:

Enjoy ATT,

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Shhhhhh I am not so sure Bobo's know that!

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
AZSALUKI
Legend

this one has pretty good reviews.....as good as any of the smartphones:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedP...

i had an env touch that was in brand new condition for over a year, until i gave it to my sister in law. it was shot 4 months later. now i'm not saying that some users are harder on phones than others.....but some users are harder on phones than others. my mother in law, father in law, and 12 year old son all have the lg octane and have had them for over a year. they all 3 work like the day they got them. it's actually a shame to me that they discontinued the octane because i thought it was the best basic phone they carried. i wouldn't say they are all bad since 3 out of the 4 that you had a bad experience with were the same model of phone.

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello bobos,

I definitely don't want to loose you as a customer.  I understand your desire to not add any additional charges to your bill.  In this case our selection of basic phones will be best for you.  I do want to advise you we do have a variety selection of basic phone including the Samsung Brightside and the LG Extravert that were just release in 2012.  Are you aware of your contract upgrade date?  If not, you can dial #UPG send from your dial pad and receive a free text message with the date.  If you are eligible soon you can review the available devices to identify which device will best suit you.  Please click here to view all basic phones available.  Thank you.

TominqueBo

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
jjojjo
Enthusiast

Tidbits....Whatever Verizon spent on updating their technology should be rolled over to the consumer it is part of them being competitive and staying in business.  Not every business does that.  Price increases to a certain degree are expected but it is getting crazy.  Verizon employees who comment as they are "scripted to do" is frustrating.  I wish there was a way to express our opinions with out them having a rebuttle with their own Verizon Justification of how it is.  Customer just want to make requests or express concerns and feel like someone is really listening.... Just listen Verizon...just listen and pass it on to the executives who make the decisions.

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
Tidbits
Legend

jjojjo wrote:

Tidbits....Whatever Verizon spent on updating their technology should be rolled over to the consumer it is part of them being competitive and staying in business.  Not every business does that.  Price increases to a certain degree are expected but it is getting crazy.  Verizon employees who comment as they are "scripted to do" is frustrating.  I wish there was a way to express our opinions with out them having a rebuttle with their own Verizon Justification of how it is.  Customer just want to make requests or express concerns and feel like someone is really listening.... Just listen Verizon...just listen and pass it on to the executives who make the decisions.

Again it's based on the beholder.  I'd like to see a company spend $19B a year for nearly 10 years and not increases their prices...  T-Mobile didn't and they are still going under.  Sprint hasn't and they have no domestic roaming agreements, AT&T hasn't and the iPhone saved their rear ends.  Verizon prices hasn't changed much since they started rolling out their LTE network yet they gained customers.  It says a lot more than the other companies out there.

Also if you put YOUR opinion on the internet someone will always express their opinion.  That's generally how it goes.  If you don't want someone to do that. Use mail and send your opinion to Verizon directly.

0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones are terrible quality
bobos
Enthusiast

@TominqueBo_VZW - thanks for your concern and trying to help but I went over everything in my original post that you posted.

@Tidbits - Honestly, it really would not be hard at all. All I am asking is for Verizon to sell a decent feature phone. The only reason why they charge for data is because it's an extra service. They don't charge the extra fees for the phone itself, that's what the MSRP is for.  In reality, it would be extremely easy and Verizon would probably even benefit from it, people would realize, "Oh, Verizon has finally stopped pussy-footing around, and also eased up on their greed," and they will more than likely switch over because Verizon has the best coverage, and would finally have the upper hand on basic phone technology. This idea really isn't asking much of Verizon or phone companies. Seriously...

0 Likes