Bought Lumia Icon off Ebay, is it eligible for prepaid or single-line plans?
sjb2440

Hello, I bought a Lumia Icon off EBay and I'd like to know if I'm going to have any issues getting it set up on either the prepaid or single-line plans. I think I read somewhere that it's not eligible for prepaid since it's a 4G phone, but I don't know why since I thought all 4G phones will use 3G if 4G isn't available. Can someone explain this to me? Also, is the phone eligible for the single-line plan or will I be forced to use a more expensive month-to-month plan? Lastly, will be able to order a new SIM card online, and if so, are there separate prepaid/postpaid SIM cards? The guy who sold it to me left the previously-activated SIM card in the phone so I assume I'll need a new one.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bought Lumia Icon off Ebay, is it eligible for prepaid or single-line plans?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on your new phone, sjb2440. We'd love to help you get services activated on it! You read correctly that alought they do have the ability to pick up 3G signal as well, 4G LTE devices cannot be activated onto our Prepay services. But you can certainly chose to activate it to one of our single line plans http://vz.to/1d0wrWV or the More Everything plans http://vz.to/1fgowCn. Whichever is more convenient for you! In most cases, you can use the existing SIM and have it switched to your new number. But if we find you'll need a new SIM, we can have one sent to you or you can pick it up at a Verizon Wireless store http://bit.ly/3SdsA near you.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: Bought Lumia Icon off Ebay, is it eligible for prepaid or single-line plans?
sjb2440

Thank you for your reply. I currently have service on a Verizon prepaid plan with a Moto G, and I'd like to change my account to the postpaid single-line plan for the Lumia Icon. I'd also like to port over the existing number from my prepaid account, to the postpaid account. I've read some forum posts where people have had quite a hassle doing this, so here are my questions:

1.) After I received the phone and set it up, it gave me a phone number with a different area code. Can I have the number changed to my location without receiving a new SIM card, and without placing charges on the previous owner's account?

2.) Can I keep the same number I already have?

3.) I've had service on my prepaid plan for less than 6 months. Will I have a problem switching plans or porting my number over?

4.) Could I do this process online, so that I won't have to re-explain my situation to multiple departments over the phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can definitely help you with this process sjb2440. Its actually pretty simple and we can start by having you contact the prepaid department . Once you advise them of wanting to port to a post paid account, they will make some system adjustments then get you to our telesales team to start the credit check and process of taking your number to a post paid account then work on activating your phone. The best thing to do is to let them know you have your own phone you want to use and a number you want to keep. If you have any issues, just let us know. We can help.

KinquanaH_Vzw
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
sjb2440

Okay, so I went to a local Verizon store and tried to port my number over and was denied because I have to wait 6 months. I had heard about it years ago but figured they would have removed that silly requirement by now. What is the business rationale behind making a customer wait to port a number from prepaid to postpaid? I'm essentially offering to pay more money to the same company and I am not allowed to because it's against some arbitrary rule.

Now, I'm put into a bad position because I bought and activated the prepaid phone on Jan 30, however two months later I wanted to switch from the more expensive $60 plan to the cheaper $45 plan and when I made the switch, I didn't realize the remaining days on my prepaid plan would not carry over, so I lost around 5 days. Now, in July when my plan expires on the 25th, I will have to go 5 days without service in order to wait for the 6-month threshold on July 30, or pay for yet another prepaid month to keep service going. I've had this number for years, beyond the length of my Verizon stay, so could I just get a break here? How long can my phone number be without service before I lose it?

0 Likes
sjb2440

@JenniferH_VZW, @KinquanaH_Vzw

0 Likes