Bricked?
Shieldsit

I purchased the 8X about 17 hours ago.  Woke up and picked it up and it's dead.  I thought, man that used the batter fast! But that isn't the case.  I plug it in to charge, there is no indication of it charging, plug it in to the PC, nothing.  I don't really know how to reset it but I held the power and vol down as suggested by a google search.  So I pulled my SIM and put it back in my S3.  I guess if there is no way to revive this thing I am going to return it and wash my hands of HTC and WP8.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bricked?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Shieldsit!

I know this is not the first impression we want for you with the 8X. Let's see if we can get it working. Could you update us if you were still experiencing this issue? What was going on with the device prior to it powering off? Please let us know so we can work further if need be.

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Shieldsit

Thanks Michell,

I returned the phone last Saturday for a replacement. I worked with HTC and called in to VZW for help and everyone came to the conclusion that it was dead.

0 Likes
chrisp61

I too just lost my HTC. Dead as a doornail! Crazy, working fine one minute and dead the next. Died on the last day of warranty. So they are going to ship me another one. I am looking for a phone tech geek (all respect) to see if he can pull the mother board and get my info. I had so much info stored in the calendar and notes, Made me sick. I don't believe I will ever buy another HTC.

0 Likes
jake1110
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's a shame, I've read there's been a number of failures reported with this device.  I've only had HTC products for the last 6 years without any issue so this is black eye on their record in my book.

Regarding the information you lost on the phone, do you backup?  I'm pretty certain WP8 will backup all your settings, pictures, app info, ect automatically to Microsoft's cloud if you enable it.  As a System Admin who deals with terabytes of data, I can safely say backups are top priority.  Too many things can happen to a device.  You might have a backup available if you sign into your new 8X with the same MS account.

0 Likes
Shieldsit

That stinks.  Sorry to hear that.  I wish I could say I was the only one who got a bad one!  I returned mine for a replacement and then gave the replacement to my brother in law.  He hates it, so I have a Galaxy S3 on the way to replace it with and then I'm returning it.

Between the poor quality of the phone and the terribly thin choices in the app store, I'd say Microsoft has its work cut out for itself.  I love the interface, but I couldn't find some of the apps I use every day on my S3 and I don't feel like taking a step backwards just to be different.

0 Likes
jake1110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well to be fair, I had the original Android G1 and then an HTC Hero(Droid Eris on Verizon) and the apps were absolutely terrible and few compared to the iPhone at that time.  I'm pretty impressed with what they have so far, though it does pale in comparison to my last Android 4.0 phone.

This is a known risk when you're an early adopter of a product and it's kind of a catch 22.  You need users to attract app developers, but developers only go to platforms with users to make money.  The eco-system might not be there yet, but as more people buy WP8 they'll come which is what most of us are banking on!

0 Likes
Shieldsit

I totally agree with you, but some of the apps that are missing are very popular ones. Like an official Pandora app, or an ESPN Fantasy Football app. I hope the platform does grow, choice is good for everyone and I think it's a great OS for a phone. I really wish they would market it like they do their desktop OS and allow me to install it on my S3.

0 Likes