Re: Bye-Bye Visual Voice Mail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The older phones like the Lumia Icon used the Anypath & Comverse technology to get the voicemail from the server to the phone.  Since Verizon has decided to sunset that tech on the visual voicemail, the only option available from Verizon is the basic non-visual voicemail.  They are not going to make the newer system (IMS) compatible with the older devices.  The Basic Visual Voicemail uses the newer system.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
robert5050
Enthusiast - Level 3

The phone is old but the OS is now Windows 10, the latest and greatest so it doesn't make much sense as to why it wouldn't work.  I've never had an issue with T-Mobile or AT&T, only the largest carrier, Verizon doesn't seem to know what they are doing or just doesn't care.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The software might be new, but the hardware isn't. It could easily be a hardware limitation too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I highly doubt it a hardware limitation.  I've never heard of a phone that doesn't support the "band" for visual voice mail .

It's just VZW is too lazy to fix their visual mail software for the windows phone and found it easier to drop it and piss off a few customers.

AT&T keeps look better everyday; visual voice mail at no charge, better support for newer Windows Phones.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I found something interesting regarding the voicemail for Windows. There might be an OEM component involved too. Visual voicemail - Windows 10 hardware dev

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The thing is that's native Voice Mail support in Windows Phone 8.1 which VZW had Microsoft disabled so that users were forced to pay $2.99/month to use their crappy supported app.

0 Likes
IRISHGUYPTOWN

They just disabled it for certain phones.  It is a tactic to get people to upgrade.  People with newer phones still get to use it, it isn't a change for all Verizon customers.  This is completely shameless.  I was about to upgrade but no way I am giving any more business to this garbage company.  I will be changing carriers within the month, probably the week. 

0 Likes
TheMcPartlin_sInTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

it may be shameless but it happened and apparently all the carriers are doing it. AT&T has it on their roadmap too.

Apple made this possible when they took ownership of users voicemail, Apple houses all users voicemail not the Telco provider.  With the bulk of users on iphones it became a way to save money. turn off and stop support of all these older systems.

I am pissed as well but I feel like I have less options to go to...

0 Likes
ARTSTOYAOVSKY

Same issue for Verizon HTC M8 even though it's running the most current version of Android. Not only that but Verizon does not provide settings for third-party visual voicemail apps like Google Voice which would be a great alternative but unfortunately impossible to configure without hacking into Verizon or kidnapping an employee

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe you use the forwarding options to send calls to Google Voice or another third party voicemail system.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-forwarding-faqs/

0 Likes