Can Android be installed on ATIV-SE?
SoftEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

The more I research, the more convinced I am that Windows Phone is dying.  The failure of the 8.1 upgrade was the final straw for me.  I won't be writing Windows Phone apps. I will discourage Windows Phone adoption for any project I'm involved with.  In the event Microsoft stops supporting and/or stops enhancing Windows Phone, how does Verizon intend to the reduce the pain for those who already own a Verizon Windows Phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can Android be installed on ATIV-SE?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seriously? Verizon Wireless is only one small piece of the OS update equation. Sure they test the update before releasing it, but they are probably the last group to test. The coders, manufacturers, the radio chip certifiers, the FCC, and the carriers all want to be sure the update doesn't break their stuff. It all takes time.

Next buy an unlocked device and use a carrier that GSM phone will work on.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SoftEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

For example, you can install Linux on a Nexus 7.  I tried it, but didn't like the limited functionality.  Companies would be wise to leverage the results of customer experiments.  The way I see it, all ATIV SE customers are getting is the middle finger.  Verizon needs to pull the ATIV SE from the shelves and offer a reduced fee trade in to current owners.  My ATIV SE is being returned tomorrow on day 11 since purchase.  However, I want to help those that are stuck with the ATIV SE.  I don't want to tell some to just "grin and bear it" when they come to me with a problem.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Android is based on Linux so it would make sense that it might work.

In any case this type of discussion is frowned upon here on the VZW community because of the ToS for the site.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SoftEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just trying to help.  Today I exchanged our two ATIV SEs.  So far, no one has given an answer to sufferers of obsolete Windows Phone 8.0 beyond a variation of "grin and bear it".  I don't like seeing others live in frustration; apparently some people do.

0 Likes