Can't send MMS - Lumia Icon 929
DustinT12

Starting about two months ago, I am no longer able to send MMS messages using my Lumia Icon 929 phone running Windows 8.1. I have tried and accounted for all the following items:

1. Sending and receiving SMS messages works with no problem.

2. Trying to send a MMS message from my phone appears to be sending for about 2-3 minutes, but then reports "Can't send message. Try again?"

3. Receiving a MMS message from another person shows up as "Get media content now (#KB)". Tapping on the Get media content link just flashes and no content is displayed.

4. MMS sending/receiving feature is not blocked on the My Verizon website.

5. Phone has 9GB of free space

6. I have deleted all text messages from the phone. Still same results.

7. Text message backup feature is turned off.

8. I have removed and replaced the SIM card.

9. Problem occurs when using LTE, 3G, or WiFi. All same results.

What other troubleshooting can I try?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't send MMS - Lumia Icon 929
cunningorb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I fixed this by using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to flash the original software. After 8.1 was freshly installed i sent myself a picture message, it went through.

I  upgraded from there all the way to 10.0.15063.414 with no issues. I think something must have gotten fudged up with the apn settings that caused all this in the first place.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

One suggestion. Update the Icon to Windows 10. It is available for that device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DustinT12

Hi Ann154​, thanks for the suggestion. That *may* fix the problem but not likely. There is another thread in the Windows Phone forum with a user having this exact problem. That user is running Windows 10 on his/her phone. Plus, I prefer the stability of Windows 8.1 all in all (minus this issue, of course).

0 Likes
DustinT12

vzw_customer_supportyarelim_vzw Is anyone from Verizon support able to assist with this issue?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to view your group messages, DustinT12. Please try these steps and let us know if the issue continues.

Tap Settings

Tap access point

You may see an access point for your carrier such as "Verizon" listed as "active".  This is the one that is not working with MMS.

Tap the + icon at bottom to add a new fake access point.

In the "Name" section, under "Connection name", enter any name like "fake".

In the "Internet APN" section, under "Access Point Name", enter any name like "fake APN".

The check mark icon at the bottom should now be available for you to tap it so you can save this fake profile, tap it.

Back in the access point list, tap the fake access point you just created to switch to it.  Wait until it says that it is active.

Tap the back button.

Go back into access point menu and notice that your "Verizon" (or your carrier) access point is there, but it listed as "inactive" now.

Tap on it to make it active again and wait for it to say "active".

Send an MMS picture message, your MMS should be working again.

JoshuaT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DustinT12

Hello @JoshuaT_VZW. I believe the settings on my Lumia Icon are a bit different. I'll attach a few screen shots. Here is what I am able to do:

Settings -> Cellular + SIM -> Tap SIM Settings -> Tap button "edit Internet APN" -> Enter "FAKE" for APN name, leave all other fields blank.

Power off phone and restart. Sadly, these steps don't seem to change the behavior of not being able to send or receive an MMS message.

wp_ss_20170612_0001.png

wp_ss_20170612_0002.png

wp_ss_20170612_0003.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all your efforts DustinT12. We want to be sure to continue working towards a resolution. Are you using the stock messaging app that came pre-installed on your device or are you using a different app that you downloaded? Were there any changes to your device around the time the issue began (such as new apps or updates)?

RashadM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DustinT12

@RashadM_VZW I am only using the built-in messaging app, no 3rd party messaging apps. As for changes to my device, no, nothing new. There aren't many apps available for the Windows Phone so that has remained constant for quite a while. Also there haven't been any system updates in over a year. It's running the standard "Lumia Denim" software release.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let me resurrect the Lumia Icon I have access to and see if I can replicate the problem. One change on my Icon is that it is running Windows 10 on it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DustinT12-

I know having this resolved is crucial for you. I understand your hesitation about not doing the software update after reading the forum, but we typically do recommend completing software updates as they are made available.

When the manufacturer releases a software update the programming for your basic phone functions change; running out of date software can cause compatibility issues.

EricaC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes