Congratulations to Verizon
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

We've all bashed Verizon plenty about how they waited to be the last major carrier in the WORLD to carry Windows Phone, and how they chose the modest (I'm being nice) hardware in the Trophy when there were other better devices available, and how they held out on the 7392 security update, and how they continue to call this the Windows Mobile forum despite Windows Mobile being now dead, and how they keep their Windows Phone fans in the dark while announcing iPhone and Android devices a month in advance (should I continue?).  But now they've done something right.  They have made the Trophy Mango update available for install on the same day that every other carrier in the US has.  So in the spirit of fairness (no, not Obama's brand of fairness), I think it only right that we congratulate Verizon when they do something right.

Congratulations, Verizon, for getting on the bandwagon and pleasing your customers, exceeding their wildest expectations, and doing the right thing.  We thank you.

Now, please consider bringing us some high-end devices to go alongside Trophy - something with a larger screen from HTC would be nice, and something with a keyboard, perhaps some high-end goodness from Nokia...  :smileywink:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Congratulations to Verizon
mooreshelby
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to second this. Thank you Verizon for getting us the update so quickly. I too will be first in line for a high-end Nokia device. Please! Please!

0 Likes
mastrsheik73

I also would like to congratulate Verizon on the rollout--even though I have yet to receive it--I am eagerly awaiting the upgrade.  As for the Nokia, I would definitely purchase it if Verizon chooses to carry it. 

How is the Mango upgrade?  It is everything we hoped?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

mastrsheik73 wrote:

I also would like to congratulate Verizon on the rollout--even though I have yet to receive it--I am eagerly awaiting the upgrade.  As for the Nokia, I would definitely purchase it if Verizon chooses to carry it. 

How is the Mango upgrade?  It is everything we hoped?

I've been using Mango since June, and while I know there are changes between what I've been using and what is here now, I haven't noticed them yet.  Yet.  :smileywink:

Mango is awesome.  One thing that I believe will be a defining moment for everyone who has bluetooth in their car stereo is the moment that I had.  My phone automatically pairs with the car when I get in and start the car.  I'm sure many people have this, but this is the first car I've had that does it.  SWEET.  Anyway, driving down the road, and the music stops, and a voice says,

"Incoming message from xxxxxx" (it says the name if it is in your phone book).  "You can say read it or ignore." 

Ok.  Wow.  What do I do?  I said, "Read it." 

She read the text message to me (and did a good job).  "You can say reply or I'm done." 

Wow.  Ok.  "Reply." 

"Say your message." 

"Ummm...  I'm texting and driving." 

(some beeping sounds while it hits a server to transcribe for you).  (Reads your message back to you) "you can say send or try again."

"send"

A few minutes later, repeat the same thing, and my friend's message said, "Oh, God!"

0 Likes
bgoodbody
Contributor - Level 1

Thank You Verizon for being on top of this update and distributing it day 1.

I have it installed, enthough the phone didn't tell me it was ready, the Zune update did.

Had the same "problem as others have reported,

7392 update offered & intalled, but no mango

With phone connected to Zune software, in settings update clicked on Update and immediately  unplugged Internet cable from computer.

Waited, then and update showed up as being available (74xxxx?)

Reconnected Internet, clicked update and waited.

When it was done Mango installed.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah, that's what I had to do to get my wife's phone to update, though mine updated on its own.  In both cases, it was Zune that notified me of the update, not the phone, but I imagine that had I waited longer (days, perhaps?) it would have been on the phone.  Consider that on the phone it would be a lower priority, since one of Microsoft's goals with mobile is to minimize OTA data use, so you don't go over your plan.  When connected to Zune, it's going through the computer.  

0 Likes
Racer112

I agree and congrads to Verizon and please bring us more Windows 7 phones I am sick or android... sign a deal with nokia!!! 

On a side note is anyone else have problem with data after mango update? and are you able to download HTC app connected media?? 

0 Likes
mxzrxp

agree!

verizon needs to take wp7 seriously or lose, this os rocks and I have used them all...

the windows-mobile on the link just shows a lack of interest or complete indifference??

great network, slow with new devices, features, etc.

0 Likes
stenrick

Yes kudos to Verizon.  But also bummers to Verizon.  No Internet Sharing & No Visual Voicemail.  The would have been nice but I use Youmail.  However I was REALLY looking forward to the tethering.  I travel a lot for work and it would have been very nice to have.  Lol guess I have to keep carrying my jailbroken iPhone for tethering.

0 Likes
bgm

Sure, sure, well done vzw, well done...

However, seeing that Microsoft has managed to get all its carriers to push out the update this quickly, I suspect Verizon was merely properly pushed by Microsoft.  So, congratulations to Microsoft!

Call me cynical, but having owned a Samsung Fascinate for over a year, more than half of which vzw stalled messing up the android froyo update with bloatware nobody wanted (and I'm still waiting on offical gingerbread), I am pretty sure that Verizon doesn't much care about getting OS updates out to their customers.

MSFT observed the noise in the market about ODMs/carriers delaying Android updates to "differentiate" (read bastardize) their phones, and made a good decision to minimize carrier customizations and in the process streamline the update process.

0 Likes