Connectivity: Verizon vs. Other Carriers
Orion126
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a thought provoking moment today sitting at an airport. "If Verizon is a top competitor in wireless service with 4G access, then how is that I cannot access the Web while Metro PCS customers can?

My friend(s), sitting right next to me, we were trying to accessing the same website. I was unable to open the page due to connection issues,  but both "friends" opened the site rapidly at 3G having Metro PCS.

I thought Verizon had the largest network? Especially at an airport. To my embarrassment,  I had to switch to the airport WiFi, just to continue viewing the page.

I gues my ultimate concern here is, "why am I paying a premium price for something I can't receive? Or is intermittent.

This was not an isolated incident, nor the first time experiencing this dilemma.  But, it stands to reason that switching to a $40 a month plan versus $120 might be more lucrative. Granted, the other carriers have greater set backs and limitations, but the value becomes justified when faced with connectivity.

Labels (1)
Re: Connectivity: Verizon vs. Other Carriers
Not applicable

MetroPCS offers nationwide Talk, Text and Data using T-Mobile USA's GSM, HSPA, HSPA+ and 4G LTE networks. MetroPCS also operates the sixth largest mobile telecommunications network in the United States using CDMA technology.

Not all carriers have coverage every where.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Orion126
Enthusiast - Level 1

Although you have a valid point about all carriers may not have coverage everywhere, according to their maps of coverage,  ALL major airports are considered in their perspective networks.  Sprint for example claims they cover "all" of downtown Fort Lauderdale, when in fact reception is extremely poor or nonexistent. In places where the importance of having a strong signal is vital for communication, the top competitors fall significantly short. How is this possible if the lesser companies, who rent those same towers,  produce a superior transmission? My concern, again, is about the pricing of these networks or this product.

Not applicable

However my wife tried Sprint in Florida (Miami) which claims 100% 4G and the connection was terrible.

And her hotel was right downtown near the airport. Worst coverage in the world.

Go figure

0 Likes