Cyan/8.1 update
jeb879101

Verizon,

I have been a continuous customer since 2001 (except for a brief stint with Altell - now Verizon) and have just purchased my third straight Windows phone. I'm getting sick and tired of waiting for you to push up the upgrade to Cyan/WP8.1 - finally thinking about switching to a provider that respects its WP users. Can you please tell us WHEN you will deliver the upgrades and IF you have abandoned all your Icon customers? It would be a great pity - it's a great phone, the best OS, and I have good coverage where I live. But you shouldn't keep us in the dark like this for so long; it's not right... Please reply with confirmation of whether you will continue to support us, and a estimate of when you might do so. Thanks
JEB879101

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cyan/8.1 update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you had purchased the HTC One M8 for Windows you would have gotten Windows 8.1 out of the box. Microsoft/Nokia has not finished with all the testing from their hardware partners and certification needed to allow the update to be released to the general public.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jeb879101

I appreciate the prompt reply. However, you haven't addressed my question: will Verizon be providing the Cyan/8.1 update to Icon owners or won't they? If so, how soon can we expect it: days, weeks or months? Thank you.

As to the tone of your response: it appears to blame me and Microsoft for Verizon's failure to support its customers - I would expect better from customer service. Frankly, what phone I select, and whatever criteria I apply to that decision is none of your business. But the 20 megapixel vs. 5 megapixel camera, and stellar reviews on your own website were enough to sway my decision. BTW, it's a great phone and I can't comprehend why it was discontinued. Furthermore, I had a reasonable expectation that the update would be forthcoming because the Lumia Icon was your flagship WP phone at the time (less than 6 months after its release). And the update had been "under testing" for the entire summer, implying that this was forthcoming. Anecdotally, just about every other service provider of Lumia phones has already made this update available, including very similar phones in other countries. Microsoft doesn't appear to be the problem here - WP8.1 works fine for Icon developers as evidenced by other posts on this site. It's the Cyan firmware (Verizon's issue) that's missing.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The delay for the OS update is solely on Microsoft's shoulders not Verizon Wireless. I have been through enough OS updates on various phones and OS types that as long as the phone works with the OS version it currently has, I'm in no rush to get the next version. The cycle is the same every time. Complain where is the update. Update is released and the next batch of customers complaining about how the update "broke" their phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.