Denim to roll-out this month
MrGecko
Contributor - Level 1

According to TechTimes.com, Lumia Denim is to roll-out this month to Windows 8.1 phones this month. However, the Icon is not 8.1 yet unless you are on Developer's Preview.

"The Lumia Denim update has started rolling out to a limited number of devices in selected markets and will continue arriving in waves by device," said Microsoft in a blog post. "A wider rollout of Lumia Denim to all Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1 is expected to begin this month following partner testing and approvals."

Microsoft Rolls Out Lumia Denim Update for Windows Phone 8.1 Users: What to Know : PERSONAL TECH : T...

Does "partner testing" mean Verizon will take another year to approve? What happened to Cyan? Is Verizon still to blame for the delay for Cyan?

Did Big Red sell a Flagship phone (Icon) because the term "Flagship" sells more phones?!? When can I say that Verizon cheated me on a Windows 8.1 ready phone!?!?!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Denim to roll-out this month
primortal
Master - Level 1

I know Denim is coming to the Icon "early" 2015; what that means is anyone's guess.

Cyan roll-out was skipped in favor of Denim so when the Icon gets it, Cyan will be installed and Denim on top of that.

VZW/Microsoft is to blame for not communicating there plans to customers, so anger ensues.

0 Likes
MrGecko
Contributor - Level 1

The 822 & 928 have been updated to Denim, but you can't even buy those phones through Verizon. The wireless customer agreement does not say that that Verizon has to update phones, but they did for the 822 & 928.

However the Icon was sold as a Windows 8.1 Ready Phone so I feel that VZW owes me that at the least. We will see how long we will have to wait for the update; again/still.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The Icon is Windows Phone 8.1 ready device.  Did VZW make any statements (not the false promises of the sale force) that it would get Windows Phone 8.1 as-soon-as it's released?

Windows Phone 8.1 Ready Phone doesn't mean that it will get as-soon-as it's released.  It just means it that the device will support Windows Phone 8.1 when ready to deploy.

Granted it's taking forever but we're getting it.

Heck Microsoft is now saying that the Lumia 532 is "Windows 10 ready"

I would be extremely angry if VZW decided not to update the Icon beyond Windows Phone 8.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

primortal wrote:

Granted it's taking forever but we're getting it.

What makes you so sure? As you pointed out, Verizon has said nothing.

Microsoft is the one making promises but we've been hearing those since Cyan was released. Remember, every one of their promises comes with the "subject to carrier approval" disclaimer. The Icon is the only 8.1 ready Lumia phone left in the world, AFAIK. The rest have already been upgraded.

I'd feel better if that phone had not been unceremoniously discontinued only 7 months after it was introduced. All of this leaves me to think there are some serious issues with the hardware. I could be wrong and Denim could roll out tomorrow, but at this point, I'm not going to be surprised at anything.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Denim to roll-out this month
primortal
Master - Level 1

VZW might have said nothing but at lease MS called out the Icon directly.

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/545978520317341696

There still a possibility that it would never be released.

If there's a problem with the hardware than the 930 would show the issues as well but it's not so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Why VZW isn't selling the device on-line, who knows.  I know VZW said the reason why the other Lumia devices aren't being sold online is a stock issue so it might be the same for the Icon.  Right now Microsoft's store still carries the device at the moment.  Everyone is going off of what a support person says and we know they don't know their butts from their own hands.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

Again, though, we've been mislead from day one with this phone. Nothing takes this long to test...NOTHING.

If it truly took so long to test cyan that they decided to skip it, there is serious issue somewhere. The 930 is NOT identical to the 929 and that may well be the problem.

Unfortunately, all of this simply emphasizes that it doesn't matter what MSFT says or does; unless Verizon approves of it, this phone will never see a firmware update.

All that said, I fully agree on your last point. VZW has the worst sales people and their social media team are the most condescending, arrogant group I've ever seen. All that "we love you, what can we do?" nonsense. When you tell them they disappear or tell you about the rigorous testing process.

0 Likes
lylone
Enthusiast - Level 2

All I know is if we don't get 8.1/Denim I am going to be barking up Verizon's chain for another device.  I got the ICON last June and the only reason why I switched from AT&T was for the device and the 8.1 promises.

The DP version is not an option since the wifi connection on it is horrible!

0 Likes
MrGecko
Contributor - Level 1

Do you really think if Verizon ran out of iPhones they would take it off their website? Come on, you can't be that naïve?

Verizon doesn't want to sell Windows Phones because they don't sell, or they have it out for MS/Nokia. Now they didn't promote them either. Part of the blame falls on MS for not advertising the benefits we know that are in a Windows Phone.

Verizon does not care (or need) WP users so I fear the updates will never come for the discontinued  Legendary Flagship Phone, the Icon. Our hope is that another carrier picks up Microsoft & promotes the hell out of it. Looking forward to Windows 10!

0 Likes
Re: Re: Denim to roll-out this month
primortal
Master - Level 1

grafixguy wrote:

Again, though, we've been mislead from day one with this phone. Nothing takes this long to test...NOTHING.

If it truly took so long to test cyan that they decided to skip it, there is serious issue somewhere. The 930 is NOT identical to the 929 and that may well be the problem.

Unfortunately, all of this simply emphasizes that it doesn't matter what MSFT says or does; unless Verizon approves of it, this phone will never see a firmware update.

All that said, I fully agree on your last point. VZW has the worst sales people and their social media team are the most condescending, arrogant group I've ever seen. All that "we love you, what can we do?" nonsense. When you tell them they disappear or tell you about the rigorous testing process.

The 930 is the global variant of the Icon (929).  So besides the available colors, GSM/LTE vs. CDMA/LTE radios and Windows Phone 8.1.1. + Denim they are identical devices.  If they are not provide a link that show they are not identical in memory, CPU/GPU memory storage, camera megapixels and dimensions.

Yes we have always been at the mercy of the carrier sooo we have to wait and see.

0 Likes