Dialing Phone Numbers Inside Appointments
ahendon

I do a lot of conference calls that use phone numbers and pin codes.  With my BB I used to be able to enter the phone number then X and the pin code.  When the appointment popped up I could select the whole number (phone and pin), the phone would dial the number then prompt me to enter the pin code when appropriate.  I cannot figure out how to get my Nokia 822 to do the same. 

I have tried X, P, W, comma and semi colon as a separator but these just turn the whole number into text and the phone does not link it so it can not be selected and dialed.

If I put a space after the phone number and then a separator the phone will dial the phone number but not prompt me for the pin code.

Can it really be that the W8 phones don't handle this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Dialing Phone Numbers Inside Appointments
primortal
Master - Level 1

Did you hold down the dot key? It will expand in a few secords to offer other choice and , is there.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@ahendon

I apologize for the delay and I hope you are enjoying your new phone! I am confident your issue has been resolved since the original date of your post. If not, I can happily assist you. Try this:
Select Start > People

1.Create a new contact or edit an existing contact phone number

2.Place comma "," where you want the dialing to be paused (example 35850950777,12345)

◦To insert comma, press and hold down the dot "." key

◦Comma would tell the dialing to pause about 2 seconds before sending the extension string

◦The number of commas depends on how long you want it to be paused. For example a pause of four seconds, two commas are enough

3.When you are finished, press Save

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ahendon

Thank you for taking the time here.

Unfortunately the solution you propose does not work on my phone.

The dot key does not insert a comma.  It inserts a dot.

To get around this I can update it on Gmail.  That works for contacts.

This whole process is useless for appointments with phone numbers in the appointment.  If I insert a comma in the number it reads the whole number as text and turns off the hyperlink to dial. 

it seems odd that all three other mobile phone OS have an ability to pause a number when dialing from an entry in an appointment and WP8 fails to do so,

I will live.

Let me know is you come up with a work around.

thanks

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Did you hold down the dot key? It will expand in a few secords to offer other choice and , is there.

0 Likes
ahendon

AHHHH!!!  Excellent.  The old "hold down the dot key" trick.  That does work.

Any help in getting the number read as a hyperlink in an appointment?  It still reads as text and I cannot dial it from within a calendar appointment. 

I can enter every conference line I call as an entry in my phonebook but that is pretty lame considering every other OS has figured this out.

Any little trick I am missing?

Thanks a lot for the help.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

See if adding # to the end of the number. So in the appointment you would see

18885551212,1234#

0 Likes
ahendon

If I do it like this:  1234563333,3340# reads it all as text and there is no link

If I do it like this: 123456333, 3340# it reads the first seven as a phone number but not the rest and there is no "post pick up dialing" happening.

On a BB you can do this: 1234563333x3340#  and the phone will dial the first seven and then pop a dialogue box up asking you to press when ready to dial the 3340# that is ideal. 

Android and iOS do the same thing with ; or w I believe.

0 Likes