Did Verizon cancel a Nokia 'Om' Windows Phone?
primortal
Master - Level 1

Verizon was originally planning to stock a Nokia Windows Phone 7.5 device in the January timeframe, according to at least one source familiar with the company's plans. The Nokia device, codenamed Om, was canned by the US carrier following concerns over Windows Phone's lack of Verizon LTE support. Although it's not clear whether there were additional issues, Nokia's Lumia 900 launch with AT&T's own LTE network may have contributed to Verizon's decision. Microsoft's retail stores were poised to stock the device in January and early February, but Verizon appears to have placed its Windows Phone plans on hold until later this year.

Verizon is now expected to stock at least one Windows Phone 8 device, thought to be a future Nokia handset, once the operating system update is available later this year. Verizon currently offers the HTC Trophy, the first and only Windows Phone available on its network. We are hearing that no Windows Phone devices will be made available with Verizon LTE support until Windows Phone 8 "Apollo" is ready later this year. While Verizon could release an interim Windows Phone 7.5 device, it is thought the carrier will join Sprint in the wait for Windows Phone 8.

Source; The Verge

What's the real deal with LTE?  Is it what Tidbits states is the Windows Phone doesn't support IPv6 natively or is just VZW blowing smoke up our collective butts? I thought that Windows Phone Mango supported LTE?

Curse you VZW!!!!!

Side story, Only five percent of Verizon customers on LTE, pooled family data still on track for 2012

Verizon's not at all shy about touting the size of its LTE network, but so far only five percent of its customers are actually using it. That's according to CFO Fran Shammo, who says that Verizon is "playing a very delicate balancing act here that I don't want to spend any more money on my 3G network." Of course, Verizon's best-selling smartphone is the iPhone, which is still 3G — the company actually built out its 3G network to handle Apple's device.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Did Verizon cancel a Nokia 'Om' Windows Phone?
LE2Strat
Enthusiast - Level 3

On Twitter there is speculation that the original device Verizon was looking at was a non-LTE one perhaps, but Verizon wasn't to happy that ATT got the exclusive 900 with LTE instead of them.  Verizon likes to have exclusives.  They wouldn't want to launch a flagship device like this and also see ATT get it at the same time.  LTE support is clearly there.  Verizon may have positioned themself to get the first WP8 device in the US, which would allow them to have something Windows Phone related on an exclusive basis for a little bit, but it will be to late for me.  I am already jumping ship to ATT.  Even once WP8 comes out, I still expect to see Verizon lag as far as device selection.

0 Likes
LE2Strat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Head on over to Droid-Life.com

The guy that runs the site there got a call from Verizon regarding his Nexus device.  They had "noticed" he was in a LTE area, but had his LTE turned off.  Other people have gotten similar calls.  They wanted to know why he would turn it off, but when he said battery life, they responded with that is what everybody has said.

I think he posted it a few days ago over there if you want more details.  LTE may be fast, but you can't expect everyone to use it all the time until battery life is better.  My area won't even get LTE for a long time.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Paul T had leaked a spring timeframe for VZW Nokia 7xx device. That device is the #3 seller on TM as an FYI.

Perhaps Verizon reconsidered the idea but January was never, ever realistic. Verizon also passed on the 900 and "hero device marketing" for that phone. AT&T also is said to have a 90-day exclusivity time for the 900.

Tom @ TheVerge might have an article quota or something as this article is littered with misinfo.

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Jason Carter wrote:

On Twitter there is speculation that the original device Verizon was looking at was a non-LTE one perhaps, but Verizon wasn't to happy that ATT got the exclusive 900 with LTE instead of them.  Verizon likes to have exclusives.  They wouldn't want to launch a flagship device like this and also see ATT get it at the same time.  LTE support is clearly there.  Verizon may have positioned themself to get the first WP8 device in the US, which would allow them to have something Windows Phone related on an exclusive basis for a little bit, but it will be to late for me.  I am already jumping ship to ATT.  Even once WP8 comes out, I still expect to see Verizon lag as far as device selection.

I do not see VZW signing on for a "flagship" WP7 or 8 device. They can't flagship anything unless it contains "droid" somewhere in its pitch. To flagship another OS would hamstring their wanton and gratuitous obsession with all things Android, and even serve as an admission that there is something better out there (*gasp*).

They might get one, but you can bank on the fact that it won't be advertised as heavily, steered to by the sales associates, or pimped even close to as much as their android selection.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is always a day late and dollar short with devices & platforms. They're slow and steady like the Microsoft of 2001-2011 during their anti-trust era. Also CDMA compliance requirements cripples their devices since they're carrier specific for USA only.

Windows 8 will ship on 90+% of PCs sold worldwide starting late 21012, never mind a whole new class of real "tablets" that are also useful PCs for work not just media consumption. Tablets that will want "mobile data plans" as Win8 has significant technology built in. Looks & works great spawning a whole new batch of cool desktop/tablet apps.

Android tablets were DOA and Google "android" phones are increasingly creating carrier problems, the latest being "nfc mobile payments" (google wallet). Big picture Verizon would rather milk Droid (today) and wait on WP which has a very promising future along side Win8.

LTE is also a great equalizer... VZW can't bank on their "network" and will need a new advertising model soon, just not today.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

that's just what they did with the nexus. these forums were full of angry samsung/android fans when they found out verizon passed on the galaxyS2. many of us told them to calm down and be patient. there had to be a reason. a couple months later....Nexus.

when windows 8 is a go and the windows phones are true LTE, you all will see plenty of windows devices and many of you will be glad you didn't use your upgrade now. wouldn't you all rather have at least 4 or 5 to chose from? this is one of the draws of android. you can walk in and choose from a dozen. it's already march and in a few months windows 8 will be right around the corner and you will have manufacturers making a number of new windows phones.

and let's face it....are there REALLY many options right now? you can go to at&t and get their latest....but isn't sprint waiting as well? and do the cheap carriers have anything better? i see a lot of users on these forums talk about leaving verizon. are they really going to leave to go choose from between one or two windows phones? i could understand if sprint had 5 and at&t had 6 or 7 and there was real options, but there's not.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm not saying that guy is lying, but have you ever known ANYONE to get a random call from verizon to question how they use their phone? although, it doesn't really matter if his story is true. he is right about the battery. the maxx is the first and only android to ship with a real and useable stock battery. you can at least get through the day while leaving it on LTE all day. any battery under 2000mah (which i believe includes every other stock battery) is not going to cut it on LTE. but the other problem is how the network hands of LTE to 3g. i live in phoenix and have the tbolt. i leave it on 3g due to the battery. i rarely even need LTE, except when i'm streaming or downloading large files. i force it to "LTE only" when i do want to use it. when you leave these LTE devices on 3g/LTE they spend half the time handing the signal back and forth. besides the battery drain of LTE, it's just flat out annoying to watch it bounce back and forth....so i force it to 3g only or LTE only.

the next iphone will be LTE and all of the androids being made now are LTE. i honestly believe that they truly do want true LTE devices and nothing else. as long as they sell 3g devices, they have to put money into the 3g network. their network has always been their selling point and i'm guessing they just want to put it ALL into the LTE network.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

What's with this "true LTE" you speak of?  Do you mean Verizon's LTE?

Yes there are options and they are on at&t limited that they are but more than what VZW has to offer Smiley Happy

Windows Phone 8 won't be released till a guesstimate of October, 7 months away and that is just the OS.  Than we'll have to wait for the hardware to be tested and approved by the carriers and there is no guarantee that VZW will have a Windows Phone 8 device this year.  Hell what prevents at&t from getting an exclusive Windows Phone 8 device preventing VZW for offering one till later next year?

UPDATE: The Verge, take it with a grain of salt, is speculating the at&t is most likely getting WP 8 devices first.

Nokia is currently preparing two new Windows Phone handsets for AT&T, according to sources close to the company's plans. Nokia Prodigy is expected to be one of Microsoft's "superphones" for Windows Phone 8, due later this year, and the AC/DC will be a mid-range handset — both will launch on AT&T. Plans for Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are unclear, but Microsoft is understood to be testing dual-core chipsets with a view to Sprint picking a potential Windows Phone 8 device.

HTC is also said to be preparing one or two high-end phones for AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, although sources indicate that Sprint and Verizon may not have committed to a HTC device just yet. Details on Windows Phone 8 leaked out early last month, promising multi-core processor support, four screen resolutions, and an NFC "wallet experience." Microsoft is refusing to comment on its Windows Phone 8 plans, but the operating system update is widely expected to be made available later this year. We expect to see the Nokia Prodigy and AC/DC at the launch of Windows Phone 8.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Don't be in denial.

Nov/Dec for WP8 devices is a long ways away and any WP device today will only improve over time and by then. Nothing in a WP8 device will make the Lumia 900 obsolete for example, nevermind the original 2 year old Focus. Get real.

Worldwide there are great WP7 and Mango devices (gyro, front camera, etc.) everywhere. Even Canada is in on Nokia. ATT has the Titan, 3 nice Samsung Focus and the HD7s alone (plus DVP 5 devices with 4+" screen size).

Sprint is worthless and Verizon is just being "verizon". Even TM has the HD7, Nokia 710 and HTC Radar, all great devices.

0 Likes