Disappointed - Where did the file system go ?
chw
Am I just missing the obvious ? My old HTC TouchPro 2 had an accessible and complete Windows 6.5 file system - Documents, Music, etc. Has that file system access been disabled on these Tropy's ? I have PDF fioles (maps, etc) and other files from the old phone that I want to use. Am I going to reactivate my TouchPro 2 - or is there a way to get to the file system on the Trophys ? Looks like Verizon needs to get more serious about Windows power users (read: BUSINESS clients) - TouchPro's were good but there is no meaningful replacement. Any advice ?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disappointed - Where did the file system go ?
calvin8714
Enthusiast - Level 3

chw wrote:
Am I just missing the obvious ? My old HTC TouchPro 2 had an accessible and complete Windows 6.5 file system - Documents, Music, etc. Has that file system access been disabled on these Tropy's ? I have PDF fioles (maps, etc) and other files from the old phone that I want to use. Am I going to reactivate my TouchPro 2 - or is there a way to get to the file system on the Trophys ? Looks like Verizon needs to get more serious about Windows power users (read: BUSINESS clients) - TouchPro's were good but there is no meaningful replacement. Any advice ?

There is no file system. One way you can get PDFs from the old phone to the new phone is to send the PDFs by email to yourself again. Another way is you could access your SkyDrive (skydrive.live.com) and upload the PDF's there (you'd then go into the Office app and move to the 'locations' pivot. In either case, once you open the file in the Adobe Reader app, the PDFs will be stored on the phone until you delete the file yourself. I don't know what other file types you're trying to access, but I have yet to find a file type that won't open (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, TXT files work, MP3, WMA should work, ZIP files will redirect to Internet Explorer but they will be opened).

As far as Windows power users, that wouldn't be on Verizon, that would be Microsoft, and probably chances are it won't change.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
calvin8714
Enthusiast - Level 3

chw wrote:

There is no file system. One way you can get PDFs from the old phone to the new phone is to send the PDFs by email to yourself again. Another way is you could access your SkyDrive (skydrive.live.com) and upload the PDF's there (you'd then go into the Office app and move to the 'locations' pivot. In either case, once you open the file in the Adobe Reader app, the PDFs will be stored on the phone until you delete the file yourself. I don't know what other file types you're trying to access, but I have yet to find a file type that won't open (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, TXT files work, MP3, WMA should work, ZIP files will redirect to Internet Explorer but they will be opened).

As far as Windows power users, that wouldn't be on Verizon, that would be Microsoft, and probably chances are it won't change.

0 Likes
chw
Hi Thanks - I was afraid that was the case, and more investigation proves this to be true - no file system. Mine is back in the box and will be returned tomorrow. I can;t believe anyone would even think about calling this a Windows phone without a Windows file systen and file explorer. It's a bad joke. Regards
0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

chw wrote:
Hi Thanks - I was afraid that was the case, and more investigation proves this to be true - no file system. Mine is back in the box and will be returned tomorrow. I can;t believe anyone would even think about calling this a Windows phone without a Windows file systen and file explorer. It's a bad joke. Regards

LOL at such comments. 99.99% of the world doesn't want "file systems" on phones. Look into dropbox or go get a droid and 4 hour battery life.

0 Likes
JasonSCarter
Contributor - Level 1

File Systems are a way of the past on phones.  You have storage, and the app presents the filese to you in an organized way.  No need to manually organize your files.  Old way of thinking.  And you have Sky Drive still.  Apple is the same way.  And with Icre Cream Sandwhich on Android, it's going to be similar unless you get phone with a SD card. 

Learn to do things the new way...or you are going to be stuck with your Windows 6.5 phone forever.

0 Likes