Does the WP 8.1 Developers Preview Void the Total Equipment Coverage Warranty?
Rufus42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All,

Looking for Clarification. I have an HTC 8X and started seeing issues with the device Powering Off and Resetting on me. I was also seeing the device lose track of the SIM Card. A Reboot of the device would correct the issues but it was getting pretty bad...rebooting several times a day.

With that in mind the issues went away for a while and the device was working pretty well. I decided to install the Developers Preview for 8.1 and about a week and a half in I started noticing the same old issues from before. I went into the Verizon Store and talked to a Rep. I explained the situation and asked if I was still under warranty since I had installed the Developers preview and had moved into the 8.1 OS with no easy way of reverting back to the Factory install.  He checked with his Manager and they stated that I should be under Warranty and ordered me a replacement 8X since I have the Total Equipment Coverage Warranty. That replacement 8X is on the way but I am a little worried about getting billed for the total price of the replacement Phone if the service group decides that the Warranty has indeed been voided due to the Preview update.

All that to say:

Verizon, Did I void My Warranty by installing the 8.1 Developers Preview? Should I just send the Replacement 8X back and deal with the issues I am seeing with my device?

Thanks in advance for any assists to come!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does the WP 8.1 Developers Preview Void the Total Equipment Coverage Warranty?
Rufus42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey MadDogFL62,

Sorry it took a bit to reply.  I am not aware if the Nokia Recovery Tool will work with HTC 8x hardware but I was able to get my answer by making a call into Verizon Wireless Support.

The answer is Yes, installing the 8.1 Developers Preview does Void the Warranty. I sent the replacement Device back to Verizon to avoid paying full price and will continue with my current Device.  Not a big deal since I am close to my upgrade date anyway.

Thanks again for your replies.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does the WP 8.1 Developers Preview Void the Total Equipment Coverage Warranty?
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

All you have to do is reset your phone to the factory settings before turning it in.  Once you have your replacement, run the reset:  MENU - ABOUT and select "reset your phone".

0 Likes
Rufus42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for this Post MadDogFL62.

Unfortunately I had previously tried the reset to Factory settings Option. It seems that the Developers Preview sets the Base OS to 8.1.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Rufus42  The article below will tell you how to get back to 8.0.  Looks like you will need to download the Nokia Recovery Tool and follow the instructions.

http://www.wpcentral.com/preview-developers-still-need-downgrade-lumia-cyan

FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Nokia - USA

0 Likes
Rufus42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey MadDogFL62,

Sorry it took a bit to reply.  I am not aware if the Nokia Recovery Tool will work with HTC 8x hardware but I was able to get my answer by making a call into Verizon Wireless Support.

The answer is Yes, installing the 8.1 Developers Preview does Void the Warranty. I sent the replacement Device back to Verizon to avoid paying full price and will continue with my current Device.  Not a big deal since I am close to my upgrade date anyway.

Thanks again for your replies.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Excellent.  Glad you were able to get it worked out.  Seems like VERIZON or their Assurian Insurance folks are always looking for a loophole to keep from coving your device.  They have no problem collecting your money for the insurance every month - but they sure make you jump through hoops just to get your device fixed.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

MadDogFL62 wrote:

Seems like VERIZON or their Assurian Insurance folks are always looking for a loophole to keep from coving your device.

The manufacturer sets the warranty, not Verizon. If HTC voids the warranty by installing the 8.1 Developers Preview, there is nothing Verizon can do about it. Verizon does not warranty phones, they simply facilitate getting a replacement if you have a warranty claim with HTC.