FM Radio In Amber Update
joker808dk

Ok I downloaded and installed the Amber update on my Lumia 928.  Where's the FM Radio?  Don't tell Verizon stripped it out....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: FM Radio In Amber Update
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

I know - what the heck?

BTW - do we know for a fact that the physical hardware for the FM radio is actually inside the Nokia 928?

The only reason that I can see V stripping it out would be to sell more network bandwidth to us using Internet radio - $AD.

Guess I'll keep using my Verizon HTC Windows 7 phone that DOES have an FM radio.

It makes me sick to see that the phone has version 2.xxx (under detailed version settings) of the radio software installed on.it. However, we can use it.

0 Likes
Customer1234567
Contributor - Level 1

It's been confirmed from Nokia that there is only 1 model they make that DOES NOT support the FM radio feature. I believe this is the 501 or 601, NOT the 928. I personally talked to a Nokia person from their 800 number and asked him about it, he put me on hold for about 3-4 min and came back and said the 928 does support FM radio.

I also confirmed from one site who disassembled the phone that it DOES have the chipset to support FM radio on the 928.

SO, it is 100% that this phone DOES support FM radio but, Verizon CHOSE not to enable it.

I'm betting they disabled it so you would use more data and stream audio with a capped data plan. This sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen...

Who ever starts one, I am on board unless Verizon can give a VALID (not an excuse) reason why they disabled it.

I use FM radio to listen to MLB games mainly MLB wants like $40 per year to stream games, I can listen to them free over FM radio...

My HTC Trophy had it, why disabled it ??????

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

The 928 uses the Snapdragon MSM8960 Chipset. This is the exact same chipset used in the Nokia 920, 925 and 1020 on other carriers. Nokia (and Verizon I suspect) will try telling you the phone doesn't have the hardware to support FM radio which is a complete fabricated lie. The MSM8960  has integrated FM radio and you don't have to look very hard on the Qualcomm website to confirm that. Features of the MSM8960 include:

Full wireless connectivity with on-board

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, FM radio, and precision

GNSS, which consists of GPS and Glonass

location receiver

https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/snapdragon-s4-product-overview.pdf

How about it Verizon? Time to own up on this one and stop expecting the device manufacturer to take the fall.

pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

I heard FM will be enabled when Verizon re-enables group SMS for WP8 and pushes WP 7.8 to the HTC Trophy.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

pa2k4p wrote:

I heard FM will be enabled when Verizon re-enables group SMS for WP8 and pushes WP 7.8 to the HTC Trophy.

Unfortunately that is not true. Group SMS has been restored with the Nokia Amber + GDR2 release for the 928 yesterday. FM radio is not enabled.  Big Red has failed us on this.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

corkwatchr wrote:

BTW - do we know for a fact that the physical hardware for the FM radio is actually inside the Nokia 928?

It's in there.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_928-5437.php

0 Likes
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Here's proof that the FM radio feature was added to XBox Music for this latest WP8 Update.

It's an announcement (August 1st, 2013) from a Microsoft employee stating that it was added with this update.

He also includes a link instructing users exactly how to turn the radio on. It must have been turned off by Verizon.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wppersonal/how-to-access-the-fm-radio-wp8/dce2...

It makes me wish I could scratch out the BBB logo at the bottom of this web page.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

There's a big circle-jerk going on about this between vendors. Fortunately I have managed to reach someone in Verizon Tech support who is taking the issue seriously.  Expecting word back from him as he was putting in a call to Qualcomm to confirm the MSM8960 includes everything required for FM Radio.  The moment I know something I will update.

corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you!

I will be looking forward to any news.

0 Likes