Family locator
djmaloy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are we ever going to see family locator support for windows phone? For all the talk of Verizon embracing Windows phone as an additional competitor, they really seem to be all bark and no bite in the phone app/tablet app space. While the windows tablet is just starting out, any app developed for the tablet will also run on the desktop/laptop, so the excuse that there is not enough tablets out there to make it worth it is garbage.  As far as the phone is concerned, Windows phone is quickly approaching and will soon be blowing out blackberry which currently has the app and phone support.  (not to mention a good chunk of the tablet/pc code can be re-used).  Residential is just as bad, if not worse, by not having a FIOS app.  Maddening. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family locator
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello djmaloy,

Thank you for your inquiry today. I'm right there with you! I understand how important it is to have access to this application no matter what device you are using. We are constantly evaluating multiple types of information when it comes to our device compatibility list. To stay up to date on future device support, please visit  http://vz.to/aqQwfO. Please let us know if you have any additional questions, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
RR7

So the Family Locator does not currently work with the Lumia 822 phone? I just added to my account for $9.99.

Why would they let me add a feature that is not compatible with my phone. How long before it will be? I wanted a back up

to the find my phone feature (which doesn't work all the time). How do I cancel so I am not charged? Thanks. Ron

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Try an app called Accutrack. I have used this app for about 3 years now since I got my son an android that does NOT support Family Locater.  They make apps for all flavors of phones (Android, Apple, Blackberry, Windows 8). They are more accurate, more reliable and less expensive then Family Locater.

0 Likes
Neuraleng

Six months after the original post Family Locator is still not support on windows phones at Verizon. Interestingly the sales and support people I spoke with were not aware of this. I spent about an hour at the Verizon store discussing with a sales rep that I needed phones for me and my son that would let me locate him and filter content. The sales rep told me all about the Family Safeguards and Controls. I purchased a Lumina 822 and a Lumina 928. After spending a few more hours speaking with Verizon tech support trying to figure out how to work the Family Locator and Content Filters, it became apparent the neither of these features is support by any Windows Phone on Verizon.

I am really shocked by the lack of knowledge of their own products demonstrated by the sales and support people at Verizon.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Try an app called Accutrack. I have used this app for about 3 years now since I got my son an android that does NOT support Family Locator.  They make apps for all flavors of phones (Android, Apple, Blackberry, Windows 8). They are more accurate, more reliable and less expensive then Family Locator.

I used to have Family Locator on my older phones and it worked about 65% of the time. Alerts were never sent or they had him located int eh middle of the Indian ocean.  Accutrack has been 100% accurate, gives me alerts when he gets to or leaves pre assigned locations which I set up. I can open the app and look at the map and see exactly where my son is located.  It also tells me how fast and what direction he is going in (in case he is in a car).  Granted it is one thing to be lied to by the sales rep because they do not know and just want to tell you what you want to hear, but there is not much you can do about that.  Verizons Policy does not care about that part.  So there are 2 things you can do. Continue to fight the battle of the Sales rep giving you bad information which will get you nowhere, or find something that will work on your phone.

Accutrack, Life360, and many others will work and give you more and better options.

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Sorry, the above post I have an incorrect app listed. The one I was thinking of and use is called AccuTracking and not AccuTrack. Sorry!!

0 Likes