Frustrated - I regret ever buying this phone
rhelfst

I purchased an HTC 8X in April, happy to upgrade from the Incredible 2 (which was more of a nightmare.) I was looking for a change in scenery after the issues the last phone had, and thought it was possibly tied to the OS. The sales rep who helped me with my upgrade sold me on the 8X over my consideration of the Galaxy S3. I regret taking his advice.

It's a pretty phone, yes. But I have had issues with this since June. It was great for the first few months, but since then I have struggled with dropped calls, repetitive SIM card errors, random restarts, and the inability to send or receive MMS picture messages.

I'm on my 3rd phone (Second refurb.) I visited in store and they quickly shipped me a replacement. The first wouldn't start up - it sat on the turning gears for about 20 minutes before erroring out to the lightning bolt image. I shipped it back and contacted online support to send another.

Once I got the second turned on it wouldn't properly activate. This necessitated a 2 hour chat session with the most helpful support person I've ever worked with to get the phone updated, set correctly, and to get one test MMS up and running. These fixes worked for about a week.

I've missed pictures from my father's engagement. I've missed pictures of my girlfriend's toddler. I've missed pictures of my friend's proposal. I am sick and tired of missing out on important moments in my friend's lives due to faulty technology. Does anyone have advice of what my next steps should be?

Don't buy this phone. Save yourself the headache.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Frustrated - I regret ever buying this phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be happy with your 8X. It is a pretty phone (as you mentioned earlier). I can't help but notice you mentioned events that include pictures. Are you receiving standard messages without issue? Are you able to send MMS messages? You can test this by trying to send yourself a message.
Do you have a problem with the MMS when WiFi is enabled & disabled?  Settings>Cellular>Data Connection should be on.

You can also check the available memory by going to Settings>Phone Storage>Phone. What does it have there?
Naturally, if the memory is full there is no way to get the messages unless items are deleted from the phone.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rhelfst

I have no issues receiving SMS. However, group messages from iPhone or Android never arrive, leading to some very awkward social situations - there are only so many times you can point to your phone as an excuse. I can send MMS (both on network or wi-fi), but I never receive them. It's gotten to the point that my family knows to either post them on Facebook or email them to me, which is not how this smartphone is supposed to work.

As far as memory goes, I have purposely avoided loading up the memory since these issues have duplicated with the several copies of the 8X I've been through. I'd wager to say that 9.67 GB of internal storage should be more than enough space to receive a picture message of my girlfriend and her son during a long day at the office.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to follow up and provide this additional information. I can certainly understand the concern here.

Lets take a look into a few things here. I just want to ensure that the MMS settings are currently on. In addition, is the device running on the latest software?

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
rhelfst

As of 10/28/13 at 11:21 AM EST my phone is up to date. Shows OS version 8.0.10327.77. Where would the MMS settings be?

0 Likes
rhelfst

Also, as of today, my phone is no longer able to receive SMS from my girlfriend or sister. Both are iPhone users, one ATT one Verizon. Have tried with wifi on and off, reset multiple times, pulled sim card. All to no avail. I am sick of paying for service that is nonexistent on a device that is at best a shiny paperweight. I just want out of this phone so I can go back to living my life.

0 Likes
Yrral3215

My wife and I both have been fighting the texting problem since the up-date and my wife has the sim card errors a lot.

We are getting fed up.

I just read on another forum about two different people returning their phones to Verizon and getting full credit for what they paid toward a brand new - different - phone.

You don't have to stick with HTC or Windows if you don't want to.

Apparently it takes some persistence with customer service and insisting on moving up the ladder to supervisors, but you can get a brand new phone and full credit for what you paid for this junk.

Id suggest everyone who is fed up with this do just that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@rhelfst

Thanks for trying those steps and for providing the device software information!

On the same screen you viewed the "OS version", can you please provide me the "Firmware revision number"?  Have you, at any time, inserted a different carrier's SIM Card into this device?  That would cause the problems with the MMS settings on the device.  Please keep me updated.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
rhelfst

I hace never used a SIM card other than the 2 provided to me by Verizon. This is not a user error, as I've had the same thing occur across 3 different iterations of this device that were "refurbished."

Firmware Revision #: 3030.0.34201.605

Hardware revision #: 0002

Radio Software version: 0.17.50.0603

Radio hardware version: 2.126.3.D4

Bootloader version: 0.0.3030.0(173704)

Chip SOC version: 8960

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@rhelfst,

Let's get to the bottom of this and get those text messages coming through!

What phone do you have? Are you able to send them your girlfriend and sister text messages? Are they sending standard text or iMessages? How long has this been going on?

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes