Get a Trophy or keep using my Omnia 2?
jsh1701
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am looking for some opinions. I want a WP7.5 device. I am up for a new phone. Everything I read leads me to believe it will be 8 months or more before VZW has any additional WP devices. I currently have a Samsung Omnia II (WM 6.5) that works fine.

The Trophy is now selling for $29.99. Should I get the Trophy or wait to see what VZW does? I can't switch carrier for 18 months because other users on my account (we have 5 lines) are still under contract and I am the primary user.

I really like VZW coverage. I can get a signal places where other people I know on other carriers can't.

Decisions, decisions...............................

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Get a Trophy or keep using my Omnia 2?
primortal
Master - Level 1

I'd wait till next month to see what's announced at CES.   Granted if anything is announced it might be a few more months after that before it gets in our hands.

I've been patiently waiting since May of this year for a new phone.  I want a WP7 phone but something that has a larger screen than the Trophy.  VZW been dragging their feet on it and now blame Microsoft for not having LTE enabled in the OS as a reason for not having more devices on their network.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

There's CES next month, and something else in Feb.  MWC??  Either way, anything that you read or hear about 8 months before Verizon gets another Windows Phone, throw it out the window.  It could be in January with a new Nokia, or it could be November (or never).  With Verizon, there's no telling.

If it were me, I'd look around and see if I could find a cheap Trophy, used/refurbished, and when (if?) something better comes out, I'd use my upgrade on that.  For now, Trophy really is a great phone, and while we do complain that we'd love better hardware, it really is a great phone.  It's just that compared to others, it's not as shiny.  No way in the world would I go back to using my TP2 over this.  It is literally WORLDS better.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Oh - and you are not tied to VZW because you are on a family plan and primary.  My phone is primary, and I switched off of Verizon TWICE to see if Sprint or ATT had good enough coverage, because I was tired of waiting on Verizon to get a Windows Phone.

And yes, if a high end Nokia comes to Verizon this year, with enough of a screen increase over Trophy, I'll be getting one at full price (or finding it on ebay).

0 Likes
bert1

I'm in the exact same boat although my plan is up and I'm free to roam.  Spb mobile has made sticking with my Omnia 2 bearable, but now I'm fighting the urge to get a Focus S or Titan.  I don't want to leave Verizon because I've been happy with the coverage, but if they announce the Lumia 900 (or even the 800) is coming out in January, and it's on AT&T, I'm switching!

Chuck

0 Likes
bert1
0 Likes