Got my Nokia Lumia Icon today
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

First impressions from a Lumia 928 owner:

- Feels a bit lighter than the 928 (might just be me)

- Uses a nano-sim (so your micro-sim from the 928 won't work, you'll have to get a new one)

- Glossy finish on the back is gone from the 928 white model, white Icon has a matte finish (better grip).

- Aluminum band around the edge looks nice, much classier than the 928.

- Screen is amazing, you really notice how big the bezel is on the 928 next to this. The screen goes right up to the edge on the Icon.

- Obviously everything is faster, except the camera seems slower to start (probably due to the 20mp sensor).

- I'm shocked how these phones are almost identical in height/width/depth, yet the screen is a full 5" on the Icon.  My 928 looks like a 1990s phone next to it now.

Also, the price from the Microsoft Store (off contract) is $599 (not the $549 I saw advertised) but you get a free wireless charger worth about that much.

Recommend!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Got my Nokia Lumia Icon today
Hoppman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried to view one at the local Verizon store, they didn't have one out that I could view.  I was told it would be 20 minute wait so I put my name on the list and 45 minutes later, still no customer service.  I left, asked when they would have the icon on display and was told tomorrow.  What was interesting is that there wasn't a single Microsoft or Nokia piece of advertising in the store.  All the Windows phones were on a display under a sign that said Droid.

I wanted to touch the phone so that I could see which one had better grip and then most likely make a purchase, but no money for Verizon today.

0 Likes
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

Also of note: no glance support!  Not a deal breaker for me, but might be for some.  I can only hope Nokia patches in support for it, I was starting to like it.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/263455-no-glance-support.html

0 Likes
rsd

Got Lumia Icon for my wife on Thursday Feb. 20th night.  Came home to find Wifi issues as it kept losing connectivity frequently and had bad wifi signal quality after 20ft from the router in both bands (2.4G and 5G).  Exchanged the unit on Saturday and found the same problem and exchanged it again today and still the same issue.  I have tweeted and reached out to Nokia (@NokiaUS and @NokiaCareUS) and given the information on what I have found to be the problem.

They said they will look in to and get back to quickly and they better as we have another 9-10 days to exchange again and hopefully avoid 25% restocking fee.  Basically if I exchange it will be either Lumia 928 or Samsung Galaxy for my wife.

My Lumia 928 works just fine and even I tried changing the settings on my router and that did not help either.

Bottom line Nokia needs to fix the WIFI issue ASAP with an update.

0 Likes
mtullius

I, too, am having WiFi problems with new Icon.  I input the password for my home network, it considers it for 40 seconds to a minute, then tells me it is incorrect.  It is not in fact incorrect.  I had some trouble with a different wifi hookup in which it hung up reloading the interface page again and again; when I clicked on a link and moved off the page, it actually worked, so I was at that point connected, and all has worked there since.  But it won't work with my D-Link router.  Ideas?  It goes back tomorrow if it can't behave.   

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1
rsd wrote:

Got Lumia Icon for my wife on Thursday Feb. 20th night.  Came home to find Wifi issues as it kept losing connectivity frequently and had bad wifi signal quality after 20ft from the router in both bands (2.4G and 5G).  Exchanged the unit on Saturday and found the same problem and exchanged it again today and still the same issue.  I have tweeted and reached out to Nokia (@NokiaUS and @NokiaCareUS) and given the information on what I have found to be the problem.

They said they will look in to and get back to quickly and they better as we have another 9-10 days to exchange again and hopefully avoid 25% restocking fee.  Basically if I exchange it will be either Lumia 928 or Samsung Galaxy for my wife.

My Lumia 928 works just fine and even I tried changing the settings on my router and that did not help either.

Bottom line Nokia needs to fix the WIFI issue ASAP with an update.

mtullius wrote:

I, too, am having WiFi problems with new Icon.  I input the password for my home network, it considers it for 40 seconds to a minute, then tells me it is incorrect.  It is not in fact incorrect.  I had some trouble with a different wifi hookup in which it hung up reloading the interface page again and again; when I clicked on a link and moved off the page, it actually worked, so I was at that point connected, and all has worked there since.  But it won't work with my D-Link router.  Ideas?  It goes back tomorrow if it can't behave.   

I've purchase my Icon from the Microsoft Store on Saturday.  I had no WiFi issues there downloading reinstalling my apps and I haven't had any problems with any connectivity to my network at home, Netgear WNDR4500 N (5GHz, WPA2-PSK [AES])

0 Likes
penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had no WiFi issues with my Icon.

0 Likes