Group Message
Kork

I do not have a Group Text option on my WP8.  I go to Setting > Messaging and there in no option available.

Do I need to enter the mms apn in order for this option to become available?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Group Message
icetei

I noticed this as well and am wondering why they disabled it. I have a few other friends with iPhones on Verizon and they try and send group messages but it doesn't work anymore...

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
pdizzy24

Anyone from Verizon know how to make this work?

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

If you look at the link homedic posted VZW dump the option and your probably better off calling support directly being the VZW staff looking at the site most likely will not answer.

0 Likes
lavagarry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Various posts elsewhere have pretty much identified that HTC and Nokia were told by VZW that they should turn off the option at the firmware level but nobody seems to want to confess as to why that was done.  "Rooms" was one unacceptable answer which clearly has a related purpose in life but not for the ad hoc group texts that show up all the time.  MMS APN *could* work but I asked that directly in another post and was given the party line of (paraphrasing) "use Rooms" and "don't expect it to work like your iPhone".

Bottom line, they screwed up and can easily fix it with a firmware update pretty quickly and hopefully will unless they are preparing to unveil the master plan as to what will replace this functionality.  I think someone just checked the wrong boxes and hosed everyone and now they are afraid to turn it back on because "there must have been a good reason at the time". 

And since my iPhone (still waiting on my HTC 8x to show) can group text with Verizon Windows Phone 7.5 phones and Android Phones without any problem there's zero good reason for WP8 to have this turned off.  Since I know it's out there and probably will get fixed it's not enough to make me return the phone (the one I don't have yet) but for some it's easily enough to have them either choose Android/iPhone or if they have an easy carrier choice to pick WP8 on AT&T.

hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

In addition to Rooms you can also create a group, and that will work with any of your contacts, regardless of what phone they're on... but again, not the best solution if you wanted to send a text to an ad-hoc group, going in and creating groups all the time....

0 Likes